Wednesday, September 28, 2011

In quietness and confidence is my strength...

The Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says, "Only in returning to Me and waiting for Me will you be saved.  In quietness and confidence is your strength. But you would have none of it."  -  Isaiah 30:15

Why is it so hard to find quiet time? I long for the tranquility that I feel when it's just me and God - no noise - no distractions- just soothing, calming quiet.  But it's so hard to shut the world out.  It seems everytime I sit down to just "be still and know", that's when all those things on my "to do" list come flooding in.  I can't seem to clear my mind of the noise and distractions. 

It never fails, when I'm trying to spend some quiet time with God, that's when I will remember all the things I need to do. My thoughts take over:

"I'll just get up and make that one phone call, then I can really be still."
"If I just put one load of clothes on to wash, then I can be doing two things at once." 

And it doesn't stop there.  It really is a battle of the mind.  The enemy does not want me to spend this time with God.  He does not want me to feel the comfort and peace that being alone with God provides.  He throws everything he can at me, trying to distract me from the One who can calm my spirit.

When I let those distractions take me away from my communion with God, I'm putting those things before Him. I'm basically saying, "Father, hold on just a minute, I just have this important thing I need to do.  It won't take a second for me to check my email.  After all, there might be something very important I need to attend to."  That's exactly what I'm thinking when I get up from my quiet time to do that "one thing" that seems so critical at the moment.  I'm telling God to wait?  Am I really going to tell  my Father that something else is more important than my time with Him?  That is not good.

There are times = ) when I am talking to my husband, trying to share something that is really important to me, but he doesn't see the importance of what I'm saying.  After all, he has things he needs to do, and he is easily distracted.  If his cell phone rings, he doesn't think twice about answering it right in the middle of our conversation.  Needless to say, I feel pretty unimportant in those moments, even though I know he loves me.  I just don't feel like a priorty when he doesn't give me his full attention when I'm talking.

It makes me feel bad.  After all, shouldn't I be the most important person in his life?  Shouldn't what I have to say matter more than what anyone else might say?  Okay... to be fair, I do the same thing to Larry.  = )  It's the pot- kettle thing.  But what's even worse, I do the same thing with God.  In my quiet time, if the phone rings, I usually answer it.  "Excuse me Father, I just have this important call...."  REALLY???

In my quiet time, God will speak to me.  Maybe He will speak by giving me insight regarding the passage I just read, or maybe He'll speak through a bird soaring high in the sky.  If I don't let the world distract me, if I don't let my own thoughts distract me, God will speak to my heart with love.

Is that 30-45 minutes of down time really going to prevent me from doing all the things I need to do for the day?  Do I really think that?  It's crazy to think that because I waste at least that much time doing meaningless things all through the day. 

This struggle to have quiet time is spiritual warfare to be sure.  If the enemy is fighting so hard to keep me from it, he must know how powerful it can be.  In quietness and confidence is my strength.  If I want to be strong and powerful throughout the day, I need that quiet time with God.  I refuse to let the enemy steal it away. The (Holy) Spirit who is in me is more powerful than he (the enemy)  who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

I love the verse in Isaiah:  "In quietness and confidence is your strength."   I have experienced that strength that comes from simply sitting in my yard, watching the squirrels scamper around, racing each other from one tree to the next.  I've seen the birds scurrying about as they look for food for their babies.  And when the wind is just right, I love watching them fly overhead, allowing the air to come under their wings and lift them up. They are carried along with no effort on their part.  All they do is just spread their wings wide, trusting God to do the rest.


I love the word "soar".  The online Free Dictionary defines it this way:

To rise, fly, or glide high and with little apparent effort.
To climb swiftly or powerfully.
To ascend suddenly above the normal or usual level as in  "Our spirits soared."

What does "soaring" have to do with quiet time?  Well, when I sit quietly in my backyard and wait on God, He sometimes speaks to me, by sending a beautiful bird high over my head, soaring confidently with power and ease.  In that moment of  quiet and peace, I am reminded that just as He gives that beautiful bird the ability to rise above, He will also give me the strength and confidence to rise above my worries and cares, if I simply trust in Him instead of myself. 

Isaiah 40:30-31
Even youths will become weak and tired,

and young men will fall in exhaustion.
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.

http://youtu.be/mVEvD30e5yc - On Eagle's Wings - Hillsong
 
I hope you can find your quiet time with God today.  I know it's difficult to get away from the noise of this world.  But Jesus found time, and He was so much busier than we are.  Every where He went, He was bombarded with people who needed Him.  How many times do we read that He went off by Himself to pray or to be alone with His Father?  Sometimes, He would wake up early in the morning, while everything was still quiet.  One way or the other, He found time. I need to find time, too. 
 
Quiet time is so important to my relationship with God.  How am I to know what He would have me do if I never really sit still and listen?  I can read a chapter from the Bible every day, but if I'm not being still and truly listening with my heart for what He wants to show me in that passage, I'll miss out on so much. 
 
Isaiah 30:18-21
"But the LORD still waits for you to come to Him so He can show you His love and compassion.  For the LORD is a faithful God.  Blessed are those who wait for Him to help them.
O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more.  He will be gracious if you ask for help.  He will respond instantly to the sound of your cries.  Though the LORD gave you adversity for food and affliction for drink, He will still be with you to teach you.  You will see your teacher with your own eyes, and you will hear a voice say, "This is the way; turn around and walk here."
 
When I try to do things on my own, or when I get caught up in the cares of this world, my Father, who loves me and has compassion on me, will sometimes allow adversity or affliction in my life.  Not because He's mean or wants to punish me, but because He's my Father, and He uses whatever is necessary to draw me back to Him for my sake.  2 Corinthians 12:10b - "when I am weak, then I am strong" becomes real to me. Because when I'm facing difficulties, when I feel overwhelmed by this world; when I realize that I cannot do it alone, that's when I reach for Christ.  In weakness, affliction, adversity, I become strong by trusting in His strength, not my own.
 
When I wait on God, when I sit and listen, Isaiah says I will hear His voice say "This is the way; turn around and walk here."  But if I don't  listen, if I don't make time to be still and quiet before Him, I won't hear what He has for me.
 
Matthew 14:22-23 ESV
Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowds. And after He had dismissed the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone, ...


Mark 1:35 NLT
The next morning Jesus awoke long before daybreak and went out alone into the wilderness to pray. 
 
James 4:8 ESV
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Psalm 46:10 ESV
Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

Matthew 6:6 ESV
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

http://youtu.be/mZGzu6oI9b4  - I Give You My Heart - Hillsong

Father, my heart's desire is to worship You. Nothing and no one is more important to me than You.
Lord I give You my heart, I give You my soul. I live for You alone. 

Please help me to shut out the distractions for just a few minutes of precious time with You alone.  Just You and me.  Father, open my ears and prepare my heart so that I will see clearly what You have for me today.
Before I get all bogged down in things I need to do, help me draw strength and confidence for the day by spending quiet moments with You.  Nothing matters more than my time with You.
Every breath I take - every moment I'm awake, Lord have Your way with me. Do what You need to do to keep my attention on what is most important.  More than anything, I want this day to honor You.  In the blessed Name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment