Monday, October 3, 2011

He's watching over me me, even at 3:20 in the morning.


http://youtu.be/05Y-Px39cm4 - God with Us - Mercy Me


Deuteronomy 32:10-12
“For the people of Israel belong to the Lord; Jacob is his special possession. He found them in a desert land, in an empty, howling wasteland.


He surrounded them and watched over them; he guarded them as he would guard his own eyes.


Like an eagle that rouses her chicks and hovers over her young, so he spread his wings to take them up and carried them safely on his pinions.


The Lord alone guided them; they followed no foreign gods.




Saturday morning, I woke up at 3:20 a.m..  I was worrying.

I rarely wake up in the middle of the night.  When I fall asleep around 10:30-11:00 p.m., I'm pretty much down for the night.  I sleep soundly and restfully.  It's a wonderful blessing to have that kind of peaceful sleep, and I'm so thankful. 

But Saturday morning was not one of the restful nights.  It had been a tough week.  And the Enemy seemed intent on stealing my peace by whispering defeat and despair in my ear.  I was worried about the future. What if something happened to Larry? Ever since we had that little scare with Larry's health last year, I have had a reoccurring thought in my head:  Would I be able to provide for our family?  Should I be doing something other than my mortgage business?  I'm willing to do whatever God has for me to do, but He isn't giving me much direction. Or if He is, I'm failing to see where He's leading. Anyway, that was what was going on in my head, and I couldn't rest. Worrying about "what-ifs".

When I woke up, I really hoped that it was time to get up.  Things always look better in the light of day, right?
But the clock said 3:20 a.m.   Ugh!!! Can't get more - middle of the night-  than 3:20 a.m.  So I decided to try and go back to sleep.  The enemy would have none of that.  The discouragement tapes starting playing in my head.  As I was laying there, my phone gave a little short beep, alerting me to a new email coming in.  I was trying so hard to go back to sleep so I didn't pick up my phone to see what the email was.  I should have.  It was a very special message from a wonderful friend.  She, too, had awaken - at 3:30 a.m.  Unlike me, my friend decided to go to her backyard and sit quietly with God.

Evidently, God had put me on her heart at 3:30 that morning.  And she listened to Him.  That email I had received at 3:40 was from my friend. This is a part of the devotional from Streams in the Desert:

Our almighty God is like a parent who delights in leading the tender children in His care to the very edge of a precipice and then shoving them off the cliff into nothing but air. He does this so they may learn that they already possess an as-yet-unrealized power of flight that can forever add to the pleasure and comfort of their lives. Yet if, in their attempt to fly, they are exposed to some extraordinary peril, He is prepared to swoop beneath them and carry them skyward on His mighty wings. When God brings any of His children into a position of unparalleled difficulty, they may always count on Him to deliver them. from The Song of Victory



When God places a burden upon you, He places His arms underneath you.

The message was clear.  God allows struggles to help us grow stronger and more dependent on the power and strength He has already given us.  We have everything we need to face any challenge.  We just need to learn to trust Him. 

No one knows what the future holds.  We can be fine one day, and the next day something can happen that changes everything.  I don't worry often, but life is so uncertain.  I'm afraid that I couldn't survive on my own. I'm 62 years old.  Am I supposed to be doing something else? I've been in the mortgage business for 20 years.  What other skills do I have that could provide enough income to survive?  So many questions... It's scary.  But this little devo sent by my friend spoke to my heart.  I could almost hear God saying:  "Carol, I'm right here with you.  I see.  I understand.  No matter what the future holds, I'll be with you. You have the ability to get through anything that I allow in your life.  Just trust me. I have already given you strength and power and everything else you need to finish strong. Trust me. I will not fail you nor forsake you." 

God does not give me a spirit of fear! Worry and fear does not come from God.  He wants me to feel powerful, fully equipped in His power.  His Spirit lives in me!  How can I be afraid of anything that might come?

2 Timothy 1:7 
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.



I can't tell you how loved I felt the next day as I began to put two and two together.  My precious friend answered the promptings of the LORD when He put me on her heart.  She is always so good about sending encouraging messages to me and several of our friends.  Normally, those messages are sent to all of us, but at 3:40 Saturday morning, the message she sent was to me only.  It was intended just for me.  I feel so loved by God and by my friend.  God used her to show me His love and compassion.  I'm so blessed to have that kind of friend.  I'm so blessed to have that kind of Father.

Clearly, God wanted me to know I was not alone and that He cared that I was burdened.  He reached down (through my friend) and lifted that burden of despair right off my shoulders.  I am loved by the Creator of the Universe!  My Father sees every tear I cry, and He comforts me with such loving kindness!

Sunday morning after services, a sweet young man came to me and said "Carol, I just want you to know I'm praying for you.  I've been praying every day for you, and God answers my prayers.  I know He does, because I see His answers every single day.  I will continue to pray for you."   It was just another love note from God. This young many didn't know I had been worrying about the "what ifs" in my future.  God put it on his heart to pray for me and Larry.  And he, just like my other friend, listened to God's promptings.  I feel so loved!



God is a loving Father. I think  of all the things going on in this world - war, famine, sickness, financial struggles, worries much greater than mine, and it just amazes me that with all that requires His attention, He sees my pain and my suffering, and it matters to Him.  He takes the time to reach down to me with love and comfort.

My Father cares about what concerns me, whether those cares are real or imagined. He is worthy of all my praise and devotion.  

This is what I learned this weekend.  God cares and I'm always in his thoughts.  He's watching over me - even at 3:20 in the morning. = )  He's never to busy to make time for me when I need Him.

Psalm 32:8
The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
I will advise you and watch over you.

http://youtu.be/98nG3xH02wo - I know You're there - Casting Crowns


The other thing I learned:  When God puts someone on my heart, I need to stop and pray for that person.
It may just be that their name pops into my head out of the blue, or it may be a more complete thought or concern about something I know they are dealing with.  If God brings them to mind, He's asking me to come along side of them, just like He did with my friend on Saturday morning and my other friend on Sunday morning.   They both listened to God.  I am blessed because they were obedient to lift me up in prayer.

Holy Father, You are so worthy of my praise and devotion!  You are my Rock, my Safe Refuge.  When I'm afraid, You are my Protector and my Shield.  You are the Strong Right Arm that lifts me up when I fall.  You are faithful and good.  And Your love for me is beyond my comprehension.  I feel that I can face any army because I know You will be by side and when necesary, You will step in front of me and defend my cause.

Please forgive me for those moments when I forget who I am.  I am the daughter of the King of the Universe!  My Redeemer has bought me with His own blood.  I do not have to fear anything this world may throw at me.  My God is stronger than the enemy .  I put my trust in You.  Be glorified in my life, LORD God!  Help me to relinquish control today, and just to follow where You lead. Give me Your wisdom so that I will choose the path You have prepared for me. Thank You for loving me. Thank for sending my sweet friends to encourage me and lift me up.  I am overwhelmed with Your love towards me.  Blessed be Your Holy Name!
In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment