Saturday, December 31, 2011

I'm starting 2012 with a new ATTITUDE!

http://youtu.be/OHRZxkluZ_Q - This is my Desire


New Year's Resolutions I make on January 1 can be quickly forgotten on January 2.

Most years I don't even bother to make a list of things I'm resolved to change, to do better, to stop doing.  But this year, I decided that instead of "resolutions", I'm going to set some goals.

Setting Goals for 2012...

Make a list - that's the easy part.  There are many things I hope to accomplish this year.  I can quickly make a very long list of things I need to get done or things I want to change in 2012.  Making a list is a good start, but to reach a goal, I have to have a plan,  a strategy.  That should take some serious thought. What do I need to do to get started?

Fortunately, I already know exactly what I need to do first if I want to succeed in reaching my goals for 2012.  I need to pray and ask God to mold my goals so that they are in complete alignment with His Plan for me.  Because if I'm seeking His will first, He will make sure I accomplish what He has planned for me.  If my goal is not in line with what God has planned for me, nothing I can do with make it happen.

So, I make my list and then I pray and ask God to give me wisdom and discernment.  What items on my list are not in line with God's plan for my life?  What on my list is not from God? What things on my list will draw me closer to Him?  Every item should be challenged - will seeking this goal glorify God or is it more about my getting the glory?  This is where I start reducing my list of goals.  If the goal is all about me, it needs to be marked off the list.

I don't know exactly what God has planned for me but one thing I do know. His plan is for good and not evil, a plan to give me a hope and a future.  HE never promised me happiness and riches in this life.  HE wouldn't let me settle for that.  His Plan for me is Eternal Joy and blessings, not temporary happiness on earth, although He may give me that too, at times.  If my goal is to accomplish His Plan for my life, my focus should be more about Christ - less about me. 

My goal - More of Jesus - less of me in 2012.  Wow!  That's a pretty big goal for me.  I definitely can't do this on my own.  I tend to put myself first in everything.  That's how we humans are, right? Where do I start?

I need to believe that I can accomplish my goal.  I have to have a "can do" attitude.  Without a good attitude, I'll never reach my goal.  I have to believe that I have the ability to accomplish what I want to accomplish, right?  If I'm not convinced that I can do what needs to be done, I'll never succeed. 

If my goals are in line with God's purpose for my life, if my goals draw me closer to being the person HE created me to be, then my number one obstacle will be the Enemy.  He will try to convince me that I cannot reach my goals.  He will become a little knat buzzing around my head whispering "defeat" and "discouragement".  So I have to shut him up by remembering who God says I am. 
To succeed, I must make sure the goals I have for my life are in line with God's plan because He most assuredly has a plan for me.

Jeremiah 29:11-12
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.



Ephesians 2:10 NLT
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

Even when my goal seems too difficult to reach, I must remember that with God all things are possible - if what I'm trying to accomplish is in line with His plan.
 Luke 18:27
Jesus replied, “What is impossible with human beings is possible with God.” 2 Corinthians 12:9 


Romans 8:25-28
But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.


In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Am I strong enough to accomplish the goals I have?  No.  Not on my own, but I have the very Power of Christ resting on me - living in me.  That's more than enough.


But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Hebrews 13:5
“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

With these passages always in my mind, is there anything I cannot do?  Is anything too hard for me if God is on my side?  Has HE not promised to meet all my needs and that He will never leave me nor forsake me?  He has promised that I can do all things through Christ who is my strength.  He'll make my path straight.  He'll give me wisdom if I ask. 

I'm feeling pumped!  I can do this.  I can reach my goal because reaching my goal will bring Him glory.  He will give me everything I need to accomplish my goal. 


Holy Father, You are my strength, my protector, my provder, my power and my Wisdom.  Without You, I can do do nothing, but with You, I can do anything - anything that is in line with Your perfect will for me.  I may have a different idea from Yours of what I need to accomplish this year.  My vision for the future is so limited compared to Yours.  My dreams are so much less amazing than what You have planned for me.  So, Father, I'm trusting in Your plan for me.  All I ask is that You help my dreams to come in to perfect harmony with Your dreams and plan for me.  I want what You have planned for me because I know it will be so much greater than anything I might imagine or hope for.  Your will be done, Holy God.  I know there's nothing better than that.  This year use me as You see fit.  I know You will make a way for me to accomplish whatever You have for me to do. For Your glory always, Lord God.  In the blessed name of Jesus I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment