Monday, January 2, 2012


My confidence is in Him.

I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

http://youtu.be/KwsvqVmFV6Y - Voice of Truth - Casting Crowns

I love Charles Stanley. At 79 years of age he is still going strong - preaching God's Word every Sunday.  As I get ready for church on Sunday mornings, I try and listen to his sermon on  TV.  This Sunday
he talked about confidence.

Confidence gets a bum rap.  We self-righteous folks can sometimes confuse confidence for arrogance or pride.  But Dr. Stanley clearly explained how every Christian should have confidence because of the Power living in him/her.  Arrogance is being prideful and full of oneself because of what one believes he/she can do or accomplish.  Confidence that comes from knowing that Christ will give us all we need to succeed is much different.  We boast not in our own strength, but in Christ's. 

2 Corinthians 10:17

But, “Let those who boast boast in the Lord.”

As Dr. Stanley spoke,  I suddenly felt myself standing a little taller, believing that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Well, maybe not "all things", but most assuredly, I can do all things that God has for me to do.  He certainly wouldn't give me His strength to do things that are not in His Will or purpose for me.  For instance, if I'm interviewing for a job that I think is perfect for me, God may  have a different plan for my employment.  He will not give me that job just because I think it's great.  He loves me enough to say "no" sometimes.  He will say "no" to my request so that I can enjoy His perfect plan, a plan that will be much better than what I see from my limited vision.  God's vision/plan for me has Eternal weight.  My limited earthly vision focuses on the here and now.  I have confidence in His plan for my life because He has promised that the plan He has for me is to prosper me, not to harm me; His plan gives me hope and a future. An Eternal future.

Jeremiah 29:11-12 TNIV
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.




If I knew what God has planned for me, what He has waiting on me in Eternity, nothing in this world would matter but those things that bring Eternal weight and glory.  If I really understood the magnificence of living in His Presence every single day, the glorious future He has promised for those who believe and put all their trust in His Son, my life would look so different.  I would be rejoicing every moment in the hope that I have in Him.  No challenge or struggle I face in this earthly body would seem too great because He will give me everything I need to face it.  I believe with all my heart that if He allows a struggle, it's because how I choose to deal with that struggle can have a purpose greater than my suffering.  God has an Eternal purpose for my suffering.  That's the confidence I have in Christ.  That's the trust I have in the One who loved me enough to send His only Son to die on my behalf.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

2 Peter 1:3
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.



Mark 9:23 TNIV
“‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”



I don't believe that God gives me the power to do anything that is not in line with His will for me.  But if He has placed a ministry or  task before me, I know without a doubt He will provide everything I need to accomplish that work:  Not with my own strength, but through His strength.  Not with under my own power but with the Power of the Holy Spirit  living within me.

When I think I'm not strong enough or brave enough or eloquent enough or whatever I see as my shortcomings, I have to remember Moses, Gideon, Elijah, all those great men who have gone before me.  They thought they weren't able to do what God had for them to do, but He gave them everything they needed. He supplied all their needs.   In their weaknesses, His Power worked worked best.

I'm in good company.  Think about all the unlikely people God used to accomplish great things. 

Rahab was harlot but God used her to rescue the spies and the Messiah came through her lineage!  Bathesheba - an adulterous woman was the grandmother - several times removed of Jesus.
Matthew was a hated tax collector - not the most honorable of professions but Jesus chose him to be an apostle.
Peter betrayed the Lord and then God used him to preach that powerful sermon on the Day of Pentecost.
Paul persecuted believers and did everything he knew to do to stop "The Way".  How could be be worthy to take the gospel to the Gentiles?  God chose Him.

Don't we all have moments when we feel inadequate to the task God seems to be putting before us?  Don't we have times when we just don't feel worthy to do anything in His Kingdom.  "Who am I", right?  but because of our relationship with Christ, we can do anything that He has for us to do.  That's the confidence He gives us.  That's the promise He has given us.  If we learn to trust in His Power and His Strength, even in our weakest areas, His power can work best.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Father, forgive my unbelief.  How can I ever worry or be afraid of anything this world may do to me?  You are my Strength, my Protector, my Provider, the Lifter of my head.  You are my everything, and You provide me with just what I need in Your perfect timing.  Lord, I give You my heart and my soul.  Have Your way with me.  Make me what You want me to be.  Forgive me when I take my eyes of Jesus and try to do things on my own, in my own way. Thank You for always being there to lift me back up. Thank You for giving me as many "do overs" as I need.  I love You, Lord.  I trust in Your love.  I'm so happy to be Your child.  In the blessed name of Jesus I pray all these things. Amen.

http://youtu.be/GCKxteuDfEM - This is my desire - Hillsong

No comments:

Post a Comment