Monday, February 20, 2012

God disciplines those He loves...
Sometimes God disciplines us to draw our attention to the things we need to change in our lives. He may put "briars or thornbushes in our way, to help us see our own sin.  He doesn't automatically give up on us when we sin, but instead He loves us enough to point out our sins so we will change.

Sometimes God allows struggles and suffering to make us more holy - more set apart from the world.  Nothing sets a believer apart from the world more powerfully than how he/she handles adversity - especially when the adversity seems so undeserved. 

God's Discipline is not punishment!  God's Discipline is training us to act in accordance to His rules so that we can increase in holiness and become more like Christ.  Discipline is not always easy but it's meant for good - not evil. 

In the book of Hebrews we learn that our Father disciplines us in order to make us more holy - as HE is Holy.  He wants us to be more like Jesus because He loves us.

http://youtu.be/Bo-mp_m3nj8 - Through it All - Selah


Yesterday our sermon was based on Hebrews 4.  I have read this passage many times and have used Hebrews 4:12 often.  For me, knowing that God's word is alive and powerful resonates in my heart every time I read a passage and God gives me
a clear understanding that the words are for me - that His inspired words speak to my circumstances, not just to the people who received the letter thousands of years ago.  God's word is still active, moving hearts to do His perfect will.  It is able to cut through my pretenses and excuses and lay bare my inner thoughts.  It "pricks" my heart to change those things I may be doing and failing to do, so that I can become more like the woman God created me to be.

Yesterday, our preacher, David Chisholm, reminded me that I must always look at the context of every scripture.  This verse follows the passage that speaks of the importance of obeying God if we want to enter His rest. 

Hebrews 4:9-12
9 So there is a special rest still waiting for the people of God. 10 For all who have entered into God’s rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world. 11 So let us do our best to enter that rest. But if we disobey God, as the people of Israel did, we will fall.


12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.

No matter how good I may look on the outside, God sees my heart.  He's not fooled by my "Sunday Face".  He knows every fault, every bad attitude.  He knows what my true focus is.  God knows if my heart's desire is to honor Him and to do His will.  He knows my true intentions.

If I'm seeking truth and wanting to be more like Jesus, I still may do things I shouldn't or fail to do things I should, however, God sees my heart, and it's my heart He seeks.  I am greatly relieved when I read about great men of faith like David, Abraham, Moses, and others.  They loved the LORD and they wanted to serve Him, however, they made mistakes - sometimes really big mistakes.  But God in His grace and mercy, was forgiving because He knew that the intentions of their hearts was to live for Him.

David suggested that when we read God's word, we should read the passages as God intended.  The book of Hebrews was one letter written most likely to Jewish Christians who had fled their homes due to persecution because of their beliefs.  It was meant to be read as one letter - not a verse here and a verse there, but all together.   Some "letters" in the new testament are a little lengthy and may present more of challenge to read in one sitting, but this letter is only 13 chapters long.  I was able to read it in less time than I use to spend reading fictional books that really had no meaning in my life.  Hebrews give me such encouragement - especially in regards to suffering and the purpose God has for those times in my life when I feel He doesn't hear my cry for relief.

As I read the book of Hebrews, I came to chapter 12 and had an "aha! moment".  God's love can be found even  in the suffering.


The Epistle to the Hebrews - chapter 12



God’s Discipline Proves His Love


1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now He is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3 Think of all the hostility He endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up. 4 After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin.


5 And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as His children? He said,


“My child, don’t make light of the LORD’s discipline,


and don’t give up when He corrects you.


6 For the LORD disciplines those He loves,


and He punishes each one He accepts as his child.”


7 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as His own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? 8 If God doesn’t discipline you as He does all of His children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really His children at all. 9 Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn’t we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever?


10 For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God’s discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness. 11 No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.


12 So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. 13 Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong.


A Call to Listen to God


14 Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. 15 Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many. 16 Make sure that no one is immoral or godless like Esau, who traded his birthright as the firstborn son for a single meal. 17 You know that afterward, when he wanted his father’s blessing, he was rejected. It was too late for repentance, even though he begged with bitter tears.


18 You have not come to a physical mountain, to a place of flaming fire, darkness, gloom, and whirlwind, as the Israelites did at Mount Sinai. 19 For they heard an awesome trumpet blast and a voice so terrible that they begged God to stop speaking. 20 They staggered back under God’s command: “If even an animal touches the mountain, it must be stoned to death.” 21 Moses himself was so frightened at the sight that he said, “I am terrified and trembling.”


22 No, you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to countless thousands of angels in a joyful gathering. 23 You have come to the assembly of God’s firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God Himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect. 24 You have come to Jesus, the one who mediates the new covenant between God and people, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks of forgiveness instead of crying out for vengeance like the blood of Abel.

25 Be careful that you do not refuse to listen to the One who is speaking. For if the people of Israel did not escape when they refused to listen to Moses, the earthly messenger, we will certainly not escape if we reject the One who speaks to us from heaven! 26 When God spoke from Mount Sinai his voice shook the earth, but now he makes another promise: “Once again I will shake not only the earth but the heavens also.” 27 This means that all of creation will be shaken and removed, so that only unshakable things will remain.

28 Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe. 29 For our God is a devouring fire.

This portion of the letter to the Hebrews is so powerful.  It must have been a great encouragement to those who had suffered because of their faith.  The writer of Hebrews is reminding those believers to keep their eyes on their Redeemer.  Jesus was willing to suffer so much more than most of us will ever suffer, because He knew the joy that was coming.  Heaven is truly worth any pain we experience here on earth. 

After reading chapter 12, I thought about people I know and love  who are suffering great affliction and enduring great struggles. I don't think that every struggle God allows in a person's life comes from his/her own sinfulness or failures.  Sometimes, yes, the suffering God allows is to open our eyes to what we're doing wrong so that we can make changes and become more holy - more set apart from the world in our actions or thoughts.  But sometimes, the suffering HE allows is simply to draw us closer to Him, to remind us that He is the only answer, the only hope we have.  That kind of suffering can also serve to make us more holy because learn (the hard way) to keep our eyes on Jesus for strength and comfort and hope.  That kind of suffering is God's way of pulling us close to Himself. 

For the first time, I realized that my friends who are suffering so much hurt and hardship, are experiencing God's deep, deep
love for them.  He is allowing suffering so that they will cling to Him with all their might.  Our heavenly Father is reaching out in love - sometimes through the suffering HE allows - to draw us closer to Him.  As we draw near to Him through our suffering, the people around us see we are different from the world.   Trusting God when everything is going wrong sets us apart from how the world responds to suffering and struggles.  Instead of letting the suffering cause us to become bitter, or rebellious, we endure through the power of the Holy Spirit living in us.  We keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.  We remember His example, and what He was willing to endure for our sakes.  He knew the joy that was "set before Him" - the joy of sitting at the right Hand of God and the joy of finishing His great work that would provide the redemption and salvation of all who would trust in Him.

I can see God's divine Hand in the hardships if I will simply trust His great love.  God loves deeper and more completely than we can could ever imagine.  His intentions are to make us holy as He is holy.  Sometimes that includes allowing us to suffer.  Any suffering our Father allows is to make us more like Jesus.  Somehow, that makes the suffering God allows precious to me.

Being involved in prayer ministry has been a blessing to me.  At times, I've questioned God, "Why?  Why do children suffer?  Why do godly people have to endure such unrelenting pain and hardship?"  But as I watch the way believers
respond to the suffering and struggles God has allowed in their lives, I know they know Him on a deeper level than I do.
They have learned to trust in Him regardless of the circumstances.  They know He will not leave them to face the trials
alone.  He is with them every single moment, lovingly guiding and encouraging, drawing them near to Him.  These dear
brothers and sisters in Christ who have leaned on God through all circumstances are different from the world -  set apart, holy like Jesus.  They trust when there doesn't seem to be reason to trust.  God is making them holy through the suffering, and although that seems so difficult to understand from an earthly viewpoint, from an Eternal perspective, nothing we endure here on earth can compare with what HE has prepared for us in Heaven. 

This is one of my favorite passages in the bible.  No matter what,  I will trust Him.  He is my strength. 
He is my Eternal Hope.  I trust His unmatchable love.   

Habakkuk 3:17-19

17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,

and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
and the cattle barns are empty,


18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!

19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength!
He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
able to tread upon the heights.


Holy Father, I trust You because You loved me enough to send Jesus, Your only Son, to take my place, to endure my punishment so that I can stand before You - spotless and unblemished.  Not because of anything I've done - all because
of what Jesus did on my behalf.  Thank You for Your amazing gift of love and Grace.  I want to be holy, set apart for You and for Your purpose.  I don't want to suffer or struggle, but if that's what it takes to be who You want me to be, I will trust You.
Help me to keep my eyes on Jesus, who suffered more than I'll ever suffer so that I can be with You for Eternity.  I love You, LORD, please help my life reflect that love towards everyone I meet today.  In the Precious Name of Jesus I pray. Amen.


http://youtu.be/e8HgAVenbUU - Bring the Rain - Mercy Me

1 comment: