Friday, April 27, 2012

There's a scene in The Hunger Games where a young girl volunteers to take her little sister's place in a battle that almost is certain to end in her death.

Twenty four children from the ages of 10-18 are selected by drawing names out of a pot. These twenty four children must fight each other until only one child is left alive.

I cry every time I remember that scene from the book where Prim's name is drawn and Catniss, her big sister, rushes forward screaming

"I volunteer, I volunteer!"


It was Prim's turn to compete in the Hunger Game which would mean much suffering and pain, almost certain death for Prim. Catniss loved her little sister too much to allow that suffering.
I am so moved by Catniss' sacrifice...


Then I remember... that's what Jesus did for me.



He Volunteered!  He took my place.


11 “I am the Good Shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices His life for the sheep. 12 A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock. 13 The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep.


14 “I am the Good Shepherd; I know My own sheep, and they know Me, 15 just as My Father knows Me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice My life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also. They will listen to My voice, and there will be one flock with one Shepherd.


17 “The Father loves Me because I sacrifice My life so I may take it back again. 18 No one can take My life from Me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what My Father has commanded.”


There's a difference between being willing to die for a family member or close friend.  I think I would be willing to do that.  Most certainly, I would do it for my family.  But to volunteer to die for someone who despised me?  To be willing to be tortured to death for someone who treated my child horribly?  No way.  I just wouldn't.  But that's what Jesus did.  He volunteered.  Even though I turned my back on Him so many times.  Even though I fail to  acknowledge all He's done for me...  He took my punishment yet I have so little regard for that great sacrifice...

Even still, He was willing to die for me.  

I cry when I remember the scene from The Hunger Games, when Catniss steps up to take Prim's place.  That moves me deeply to see the love she had for her little sister.  But am I moved when I  think about the love Jesus has for me?  I don't think I understand just how much He loves me, otherwise my whole life would be a living sacrifice to Him filled with gratitude and praise.


Paul understood Christ's love.  When he finally realized that Jesus was the Son of God, Paul sacrificed every thing to carry the message of God's love to everyone, but especially to the Gentiles.  Not only did he give up his respected lifestyle and status as a Pharisee, he suffered great persecution and eventually death, because he wanted everyone to know Jesus was the Messiah that had been promised.  

Paul sent a letter to the believers in Ephesus to let them know not to lose heart because of his sufferings.  They had heard of his suffering, and Paul knew they were concerned for him and afraid about the future.  Paul knew heaven was worth whatever he had to endure on earth, and he wanted the Ephesians to know that, too,  so that they would stand firm.  Because Paul understood what Christ had done for him, he considered it an honor to suffer for His Namesake.

Ephesians 3:12-21
12 Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God’s presence. 13 So please don’t lose heart because of my trials here. I am suffering for you, so you should feel honored.


Paul’s Prayer for Spiritual Growth


14 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, 15 the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. 16 I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.


20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to Him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.


I think if I ever began to truly comprehend how much God loves me, nothing in this world could get me down. No struggle, no suffering, no loss, nothing would matter except Christ crucified.  I want to know His love more deeply so that it overflows from me to everyone God puts in my life. So that, like Paul, I will consider it a honor to suffer for His Name. 

http://youtu.be/D9S86nMqaLg - Amazed - Phillips Craig and Dean

Father, I fall to my knees and lift up my prayer to You,  the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from Your glorious, unlimited resources You will empower me with inner strength through Your Spirit. Lord Jesus, make Your home in my heart as I put my trust in You. Make my  roots grow down into Your love and keep me strong. Give me the power to understand, as all Your people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep Your love is. Help me experience Your love, Jesus, though it is too great to understand fully. Make me complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from You.


Holy God, may all glory be to You, for You are able, through Your mighty power  within me, to accomplish infinitely more than I might ask or think. All glory to You in Your church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

http://youtu.be/k_MyC6kJzPg - Unfailing Love - Chris Tomlin





No comments:

Post a Comment