Saturday, October 12, 2013


October 11, 2013

Devotional – For God so loved the world

He loves each one of us, as if there were only one of us."

                                            — St. Augustine of Hippo
--

John 3:16 NLT

16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

I don't love anyone enough to give one of my children or grandchildren to save another's life. I just don't.

It's such a hard concept to imagine that God loves us sinners enough to allow His precious, perfect Son to come to earth knowing what He would endure: the ridicule, the beatings, the betrayals, the hate, the horrific death... but God chose to show His love for us through this sacrifice we can't comprehend.

HE LOVES US! The Creator of the Universe stepped down from Heaven with all it's glory, so that He could become our personal Savior; not just Almighty God who speaks and we tremble in awe and fear, but as our big Brother who would ultimately die in our place.

God wants us to know how very much He cares. He is not a distant God, but One who not only came to earth to live as a man enduring incredibly difficult circumstances, but our Savior sent His very Spirit to live in us.

The Holy Spirit of God knows our every struggle, battle, temptation, hurt, pain, everything about us. He is with us in those moments when no one understands the agony we're facing. HE understands because He is there! I think of all things I do or think or say through the course of any day that must offend Him and break His heart. Even so, He stays with me, prompting me to remember how much I'm loved. That love demands my mind, my heart, my body and soul. I'm compelled by this unexplainable love to live for Him, because He died for me.

God allowed His Son to suffer a life of pain and disappointment. Does that mean He didn't love His Son? No. It means He had a loving purpose far greater than the suffering. Through the suffering of His Son, the whole world could be saved and have the opportunity to spend Eternity with our Everlasting God. Was His suffering justified for such a great purpose? Jesus was willing to pay the price and He trusted His Father through the suffering because He believed the pain was worth it.

When I read the bible I see so many times when God allowed His children to suffer, but each time there was a purpose far greater than the suffering. What suffering could we not endure if it meant even one person might find Christ and be saved from Hell?

Wednesday night, in our Beth Moore study of James, she said something that grabbed my heart. I hope these words can translate the same intensity on paper as I felt when she said them:

"Do you not know how much God loves you? Do you think He doesn't love you enough to remove you from the pain you are facing right now if there was not a purpose much greater than the pain?"

As a parent, the only way I could watch my child hurt was if that hurt was the only way to healing. Watching a doctor realign a broken arm so it heals properly, holding the hand of a child as they receive painful fbut necessary treatment, I could stand by and allow that kind of pain, because I know the good it serves, and I know what might happen if I don't allow the pain. And that's exactly what my Father does. He allows pain and suffering when the pain and suffering is overshadowed by the good that can be accomplished through it.

 One of my daddy's favorite passages in the Bible (mine too) is in Genesis. Joseph is second in command over all Egypt. He's come through incredible struggles: his brothers hated him and were willing to let him die in a cistern, but then decided to make a little cash off their little brother. They sold him to slave traders who sold him to man who had a wife with a wandering eye. Joseph was the best slave he could be, but when he refused Mrs. Potipher's wiles, she falsely accused him of betraying his master Potiphar. He was thrown into jail where he was a model prisoner. After years in prison for a crime he did not commit, finally, he was called to appear before Pharaoh. There was a purpose for the suffering.

 God allowed every painful, unfair event in Joseph's life. Why?

 Pharaoh would make Joseph his right hand man and put him in charge of everything. Joseph's suffering had prepared him for this very moment, for this purpose. Joseph saved Egypt from the famine that came. He saved surrounding countries that came to Egypt to buy food. He saved his own family, his father Jacob and his 12 brothers.

When the brothers came to buy food from Egypt, they had idea that it was their little brother who sat before them as they asked for food. Joseph knew them right away and he felt love towards these unworthy brothers. When they finally realized who he was, they were afraid for their lives. But Joseph eased their minds.

 Genesis 50:19-21 NIV

19 But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.

I don't understand the suffering around me. But I do believe that it breaks His heart when one of His children hurts. I believe a tear comes from His eye, when a child's "broken arm" needs to be reset, but He knows without that momentary pain, the "arm" will never heal.
 
Beth Moore says that maybe we should consider the suffering God allows in our lives as a gift.  A gift intended to help us or someone else grow in faith and in the conviction that God provides all we need.  When we cannot stand by ourselves, we turn to our Father.  He pulls us close and gives us divine strength from His unlimited supply.
God doesn't remove every hurt, struggle or pain, but I trust His love and His perfect purpose for those He loves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment