Friday, September 16, 2011
















































http://youtu.be/oT57tjz9py8 - He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother - The Hollies




Here's a photo of the old hostel where the children slept until it was no longer safe. The other photos are the new hostel which was completed just this year. God's Family reached across the ocean and built a safe place for these children to live. The photos include children from around the village along with some our Happy Choice kids. This is just one way God has given us to come along side someone carrying a heavy load. Oscar cares for the 12 children that live at the centre, his own three children, plus several children and widows who live in the village and don't always have enough food to eat. Oscar, who has so little for his own family, does everything he can to help others.



As I read the prayer in John 17, I see the yearning of Jesus for his diciples to be one, to be united, just as He and His Father were one. How sad we must make Him when we bicker and argue over meaningless things! He wanted so much for us to love each other just as He loved us. He wanted us to be a true family - the Family of God.



When we see our brother struggling with a heavy burden, our first thought should be "how can I lighten his load? How can I make things easier? How can I reach out in love?" This week, I experienced that reaching out of believers when I shared the desperate need of my friend Oscar who has a small orphanage in Kenya. Oscar sent me an email saying the children had no food all day Wednesday and he needed help. Today, money was sent for food because of kind hearted, caring believers who saw a brother struggling beneath his heavy load and immediately reached out in love. Those acts of kindness will not go unrewarded.



Matthew 25
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’




This is what unity in Christ is all about. Sharing one another's troubles, lending a helping hand, showing the love of Christ to those who need to know HE has not forgotten them. We become the hands and feet of Jesus when we reach out to others. We are the Family of God and I saw His family in action today.




John 17 - Jesus prayed for unity
“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began! O righteous Father, the world doesn’t know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them.”




God's plan from the beginning has been that His children would be one - united in Christ with a common love and purpose. Fellowship is a very important part of being in the family of God. His instructions for life are all about relationships, fellowship, and about coming together with encouragement and support, helping each other to carry the heavy burdens of life.
I did a quick word search on Biblegateway.com and these are a few passages about our relationship with others:



John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
John 13:35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.
Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature ; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Thessalonians 4:9 Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other.
2 Thessalonians 1:3 We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing.
Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,
1 Peter 1:22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.
1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
1 John 3:11 For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.
1 John 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for one another.
1 John 3:23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.
1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
1 John 4:11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4:12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
1 John 4:21 And he has given us this command: Those who love God must also love one another.
2 John 1:5 And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another.
I think it's safe to say that God wants us to love each other, and to care for each other. He knows the beauty and blessings of relationships built on unity and love. The Godhead - Father/Son/Holy Spirit is a perfect example of this kind of relationship. Although they are three individual persons, they are ONE God. They are united together in perfect harmony and They support one another with unselfish love and devotion. Wouldn't this world be amazing if we believers could be united in our love and purpose? What if we stopped being so self-focused and started looking for ways to help others?




Philippians 2
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same attitude of mind Christ Jesus had: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a human being, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!



Again in this passage, we see the focus on loving each other, looking out for one another, being united, not divided. Verse 3 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition, value others above yourselves?" That's a hard thing to do. But if we learn how to love each other and how to come along side our brothers and sisters who are struggling, then we become more like Jesus.
And when one brother hurts, we all hurt.

1 Corinthians 12
Yes, there are many parts, but only one body. The eye can never say to the hand, “I don’t need you.” The head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.” In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary. And the parts we regard as less honorable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So we carefully protect those parts that should not be seen, while the more honorable parts do not require this special care. So God has put the body together such that extra honor and care are given to those parts that have less dignity. This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad.



Yesterday, God's Family saw a brother suffering and they felt his pain. They cared that he was hurting and they allowed God to use them in very wonderful way. Thank you guys for being so quick and so willing to help Oscar feed those children whom God has entrusted to his care. You make me proud to be in the Family of God.

It's a beautiful thing to see that kind of love and caring. There are so many people - brothers and sisters in Christ - who need a little encouragement, a little help carrying their burden. We don't have to go across ocean to be able to help a brother or sister in need. There are people we are around every day who are hurting.






Lord, help us see and help us be a Family that loves.
Father, You are so gracious and merciful with me. I am so thankful that Jesus came to save me. That He loved me enough to stand in place, taking my stripes, even to the point of death, so that I don't ever have to be separated from You by death. Father, I know You want us to be united in our love for You and for one another. It's easy to love You, and it's easy to love some of our brothers and sisters in Christ. But some aren't quite so loveable. I'm sorry to say that, but You already know I'm thinking it. = ( . I want to love everyone, even when it's hard. Please Lord, help me to love those who are difficult to love. Help me to look past the surface and see what You see. Help me to be an instrument of Your unity and love wherever I am and whatever I do. When I see a need, show me how to help, whether it's a financial, emotional or spiritual need, help me to give as I'm able to give, even if all I have to offer is a prayer, that by itself is a most precious gift. Pleae forgive me for all times I just look the other way when I see a brother struggling. Today, I want to start fresh, and be more like Jesus, loving even when it's hard. I ask all these things in Jesus' precious Name. Amen.

http://youtu.be/hGr8as7pPBE - Give me Your Eyes - Brandon Heath


http://www.godvine.com/Injury-Turns-into-Inspiration-for-One-High-School-Girl-323.html - These girls did an amazing act of kindness for the opposing team. They cam along side and helped carry a sister's burden. What a beautiful example of unselfishness.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.godvine.com/Injury-Turns-into-Inspiration-for-One-High-School-Girl-323.html. -

    Inspiring story of sisters coming together - doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete