Monday, September 19, 2011

It's Monday...

Philippians 4:10-13
I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

http://youtu.be/A8JsRxVczmQ - Strong Enough - Matthew West


Here we go again.  It's Monday and a new week begins.  
The kids are off to school and I'm ready to sit down and  work.              By the way, those little cuties in the photo  are two of my granddaughters, Brooklyn and Presley and they are headed off to school. 




Psalm 118:24
This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it.


Every Monday, I think to myself, "Today I will make a list, and I'll prioritize so that I get the most important things done first".  


By 10:00, I've already been distracted so many times, I feel totally overwhelmed and out of control for the rest of the day.


I see other people managing their time, getting things done. Why is this so hard for me? I'm such a loser!  I can't seem to get anything done!  Where's my brain at today?  I'm so frustrated!


Well, part of my problem is my self-talk.  Once I start feeling overwhelmed, I let myself get stuck in those negative thought patterns, and before I know it, I'm frozen - I can't seem to make any progress with anything on my list.  That my friend, is how the Enemy works!  


But I have a Secret Weapon! Today, I will not try to fight the Enemy and his evil spirits of despair and discouragement by myself.  I have Someone on my side who has already defeated the Enemy more times than he can count.  I'm calling for back up!


LORD, I can't do this by myself.  I need You!


Instead of letting myself feel defeated and discouraged, I need to invite God into my day first thing.  He's promised over and over again that He will give me everything I need to face whatever comes my way, so why do I let myself get bogged down and overwhelmed when all I have to do is invite Him to take control?  


Hebrews 13:6
So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?"


Deuteronomy 31:8
"The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


Psalm 27:1 NKJV
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?


Paul had a lot more to worry about than I do, but his inspired advice to the Philippians was simple.  "Rejoice in the Lord always!  The Lord is near.  Don't be worried or anxious about anything.  That's right; don't worry about  anything!!!  When you're stressed or overwhelmed, just pray and ask God to help you.  Remember all the things He's already done for you?  Well then, thank Him for always being there for you.  He is, you know. Lean on Him.  Let Him be your strength, and before you know it, His great peace that surpasses all understanding will flood your hearts."  That's what I hear in Philippians 4:4. 


Philippians 4:4
 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


My Father wants to help me in everything I do.  I wished I could wrap my brain around the fact that the Creator of the Universe, the One who sustains everything - the planets, the stars, the oceans and everything in them, everything that has life - HE sustains everything with a Word. That's all it takes!  That very God longs for me to invite him into my life - nothing is too small or insignificant for Him to care.  If it concerns me, it concerns Him.  That's how earthly parents feel, so how more would our Heavenly Father feel that way?  Why in the world do I keep trying to do everything under my own power and strength when the the God who created the Universe is so willing to help me?  


Luke 11:11-13
 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”


I remember watching my sons put puzzles together when they were really young.  I'd watch as they would pick up a piece of the puzzle and try to put it in upside down or cross ways.  I could clearly see how the piece needed to fit, but I would watch and wait until they asked for help.  The minute they asked, I gave them a hint at first; "turn, turn, turn.."  I would say.  I wanted them to be able to figure it out on their own, but I was there to point them in the right direction.  


I think that's kind of how God works sometimes. When I ask for help, He points me in the right direction, opening doors/closing doors along the way. He'll let me struggle by myself just as long as I choose, but He's there just waiting to give me what I need.  Sometimes, He'll put a thought into my head, and if I'm listening, it's like the old "light bulb going off" feeling!  Yeah!  That's how I can do it!  That's how to make the puzzle piece fit!"  Unfortunately, too many times I forget to give Him a big "Thank You" for helping me find the answers.  


When things are going fine, I tend to forget how dependent I am on God for everything.  I can't even breathe without His help, but how many times do I thank Him for all He does for me?  Not often enough.


Today, I'm going to start my day by thanking God for all my blessings.  Whenever I feel overwhelmed or stressed this week, I'm going to stop and thank God, not for the stress necessarily, but for the strength He's going to give me to face that stress.  I can thank Him for His faithfulness; that He  never leaves nor forsakes me. There is nothing that I can't handle with Him by my side.  And He will be right there beside me every second of the day.  


There's so much I have to be thankful for.  I could spend my whole day listing my blessings.  How can I worry about anything when I know He has promised to provide everything I need to face any circumstance? I can always depend on Him.


Philippians 4:19-20
"And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.  To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen."


Maybe as I remember what all God has done for me, I'll be reminded that He's still so willing to help me put today's puzzle together if I just ask. 


http://youtu.be/7fwI4qbLpxE -  Just Another Mountain - Jamie Slocum


Gracious Father, You bless me beyond measure!  I can't begin to list all my blessings and yet most days, I worry more about what I don't have instead of focusing on all You've given me.  Thank You for being so merciful and forgiving.  Thank You most of all for sending Your precious Son to take away my sins. Jesus, thank You for covering me with Your righteousness, because I could not stand before my Holy God on my own.  Because of what You did, I can call Him "Abba, Father"!  Thank You so much for that gift!
Thank You for providing shelter, food, clean water, clothing, family and friends.  Thank you for the blessing of fellowship through the church.  What a beautiful relationship You've created for us with other believers - You've shown us how to come together and encourage one another, to carry each other's burdens, to love one another through the ups and downs of life.  What a wonderful gift You gave us by allowing us to be part of Your Family.


Father, today, help me to be mindful of each blessing.  The birds that fly overhead, gliding as they let the wind beneath their wings carry them along, enjoying their ability to fly and soar.  Father, You are the wind beneath my wings, too. Help me to trust in Your strength and power. Thank You for providing everything I need to soar through my day, just like those little birds!
You are my everything.  I give You all my praise and thanksgiving today and always.  For alone, Holy God, are worthy.  In the powerful Name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.  



3 comments: