Saturday, September 10, 2011

WE FIGHT BACK!























Tyler went to a concert at TCU with his good friend Corley. They had a really great time. Listening to them talk about it got me to thinking back to when I was younger, the good ole days...

When I was a teenager, I wanted to listen to "my songs" everytime I got into the car with my mom or dad. I'm not at all sure they enjoyed my awesome music quite as much as I did. In fact, I remember my dad not being too fond of "The Beatles" because of "all that long hair ". = D His great fear was that I'd grow up and marry one of them! $$$$

Oh, the good ole days...

I remember getting into the car and flipping that channel to my station as fast as I could. And the louder I could play it, the better it became. Can you older folks remember that feeling? When you just had to have the radio blasting? I hope I never forget how important it was to that 15 year girl. It's still important to teenagers.

Well, as Tyler told us about the concert, I went back in my mind to that time when music was everything to me. I hope that will help explain the direction of my devo today. Remember, it''s all "straight from the heart".




This video is with Tim Halperin, one of the performers at the concert Friday night, and he is joined by a few of his TCU buddies. Tim made it to the top 12 on American Idol one season, and he was asked to write a song that would help promote the Susan Komen Foundation Run. Obviously, it's about the fight against Breast Cancer but if you listen to the words, I think it can apply to our battle against the Enemy, too. After all, I'm pretty sure cancer is one of the Enemy's favorite schemes to break us, to turn us from God. But We will fight back!

http://youtu.be/mLiCS6AaebE - We FIGHT BACK! - Tim Halperin


We have to start remembering that there is a battle going on and it is not against flesh and blood...


My enemy is not another guy or another girl. My true enemy is not flesh and blood.



Ephesians 6 - For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.


There's something very evil and sinister going on every day of our lives. The enemy watches and plots his schemes against you and me. He has a devious scam designed for each one of us - specifically made to fit our weaknesses. And he doesn't give up easily. That's why we have to be on guard, always alert!



1 Peter 5:8 NKJV
Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.


I don't like to think about it, but the spirit world is real. God has made it very clear that there are evil spirits all around seeking to carry out the devil's plans and schemes. We have to be prepared. We have to know that we can call on Jesus. He is our Rescuer.

And we have another mighty weapon - the Sword of the Spirit from Ephesians 6. It's our only offensive tool. The sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. Let God write His word on your heart. Listen to His Word and apply it - that's our weapon, and if we'll do that, God will direct our path, He'll give us victory.

Ephesians 6:17 - Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


I've got one more song for you righteous dudes. Oh, sorry. I got carried away. I know this song isn't considered a "religious song" but bear with me please.



We were driving home from school, and of course, listening to Tyler's music. I'm not sure how Tyler feels about me singing along, but sometimes I just can't help myself. After all, I've heard his favorite song so many times (thank you, Tyler!), I've pretty much memorized the words of all of them. = P And for some reason, I've always liked this particular song. So I was belting it out, at least until Tyler changed the station. Hmmm... Do you think he may have been telling me something?

This time as I sang along, I got to thinking about the words, and what they meant to me. Let me set the record straight. I didn't just break up with my boyfriend. Oops, sorry, I meant husband - I'm still in the 70's. I just really like the song.

The more I listened to the words, I thought, "This is pretty much how I feel about the devil."



Some of the lines might be a stretch. Everyone is entitled to their own take on what the song means to them. I've written in red what the lines me to me. This is what I hear when I listen to "JAR OF HEARTS":


"I know I can't take one more step towards you cause all that's waiting is regret." Right? When I believe the lies of the Enemy, it always leaves me feeling broken and discouraged. I end up having regrets when I do what he wants me to do.

"Don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore?" - No kidding! I belong to Jesus and I am not going to follow the Enemy anymore. I don't have to listen to him or do what he says. Jesus gave me victory over my human nature - that part of me that used to fall for every lie and every scheme that the enemy put before me.

"I learned to live half-alive" - yeah, that's what happens when I follow the enemy. Things look great at first. He can really make sin look good. But then, the consequences happen. My "great life" ends up causing me pain and grief. Living for the moment, thinking only about myself is not the life God intended me. HE has so much more.

"Now you want me one more time" - He sure does. The enemy doesn't like to lose. Too bad he hasn't figured out he's already lost this one. Jesus took him down for me.

"I hear you're asking all around if I am anywhere to be found, but I have grown too strong to ever fall back in your arms" - This one's a little tricky, because I'm not strong enough to defeat Satan. He is powerful and I would dare to try and minimize the power of his influence in this world. He is the prince of the world - the DARK Prince to be sure! He's tough but Jesus is tougher. I can't do fight him alone, but Jesus gives me His Strength and with Jesus on my side, I can stand strong no matter what the enemy throws at me.

No more scars! My sins are paid for by the precious blood of Jesus. Seriously, who does the enemy think he is, playing with God's children?


I remember how to put the light back in my eyes. All I have to do is call on Jesus!


This song has lots of meaning for me now. It's my "fight song" - and I love it. I hope you'll sing along with me!



http://youtu.be/Msy-q6uO2Go - Who Do You Think You Are? - Christina Perri
"Jar Of Hearts"

lyrics

I know I can't take one more step towards you


'Cause all that's waiting is regret (when I follow satan, I always end up regretting)


And don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore (I'm not following you anymore!)
You lost the love I loved the most
I learned to live half-alive - (When I follow Satan's way, I don't get the life God intended for me)





And now you want me one more time - (I don't think so!)
And who do you think you are, running 'round leaving scars?


Collecting your jar of hearts and tearing love apart


You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul


So don't come back for me, who do you think you are?



I hear you're asking all around (he's prowling around)


If I am anywhere to be found


But I have grown too strong (through Christ who strengthens me!)


To ever fall back in your arms (been there, done that! - no more!)
I learned to live half-alive (I settled for satan's way for a while but I won't do it any more!)


And now you want me one more time



And who do you think you are,


running 'round leaving scars? (the scars are my reminder - satan's way only destroys me)


Collecting your jar of hearts, tearing love apart



You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul


So don't come back for me,


who do you think you are?



It took so long just to feel alright


Remember how to put back the light in my eyes


I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed'


Cause you broke all your promises



And now you're back, you don't get to get me back
And who do you think you are, running 'round leaving scars?


Collecting your jar of hearts and tearing love apart


You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul


So don't come back for me, don't come back at all



And who do you think you are, running 'round leaving scars?


Collecting your jar of hearts, tearing love apart


You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul


Don't come back to me, don't come back at all
Who do you think you are? Who do you think you are?
Who do you think you are?



What's your favorite secular song?

Can you make it even more special by using it to express your relationship with Jesus?


Everything for His glory!



Holy Father, I just love how You show up in every part of my life, even in songs which might never have been intended to be about my walk with Jesus. But I'm singing the words, and there He is! It makes the song even more special to me. I love it.
You're with me everywhere I go and in everything I do, and that not only brightens my day, it makes me feel safe! With You, I'm always safe.

Lord God help me to be alert and on guard. There are days when I take my eyes off of Jesus and that leaves me vulnerable to Satan's attack. Remind me that my strength is in You, Jesus, not my strength - "not by might nor power, but by YOUR Spirit, LORD!" I will "fight back" using the Sword of the Spirit - Your inspired Word! Write it on my heart, LORD, so that I will never be confused when Satan tries to woo me with half-truths and his all-out lies. Help me to listen to only You, so that I can win this spiritual battle through Your power and might. Thank You Jesus for defeating the Enemy for me. I'm trusting in You always. Amen.

http://youtu.be/fa8w7mGug0c - I Will Rise - Chris Tomlin

No comments:

Post a Comment