Tuesday, November 1, 2011

“For I will be merciful to their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more."Hebrews 8:12 NKJ


http://youtu.be/VpodVp6LH8s - Mercy Came Running - Phillips Craig and Dean

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 NIV
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.


“That wasn’t me.”

That’s what Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York told Oprah during an interview regarding her latest indiscretion that was caught on video. I understand exactly what she meant.

When I look back over the course of my life, I can’t believe some of the terrible choices I’ve made, choices with far reaching consequences, choices that hurt people I love. I can’t understand how I sunk so low. I was a good person, or at least, I always thought I was a good person. How could that good little Christian girl do those things? I look at her and say, “that couldn’t have been me”. I don’t want it to be me. But it was and it still could be, if I don’t keep my eyes on Jesus.

http://youtu.be/JEqfMFAIyGI - Let Your Mercy Rain - Chris Tomlin

Mercy is a wonderful gift  from a loving God! Thank You, Father, for Your mercy!

Fortunately for me, I didn’t have a frenzy of media announcing my downward spiral. Poor Sarah. Caught on tape, betraying one of the kindest men she knew – her ex-husband. She tried to sell him for a few pieces of gold. Well, not really. but it must have felt like that once she realized what she had done. The shame must be unbearable! The relationship she has with the one man who has stood beside her and who had forgiven her so many times, is the same relationship she tried to used to barter for her own selfish reasons.

I do not condone what Sarah did, but I have compassion towards her. I see her shame and her remorse. If she could just go back in time and make a different choice, if she could just have one “do-over”… But it’s too late. She can’t take it back. She can’t undo the harm she’s done. I understand all too well. I hope Prince Andrew is gracious and forgiving. I pray that people don’t think him weak if he finds it in his heart to reach out to Sarah with the kindness and compassion. I think that’s what Jesus would do. He forgives. He helps those bent low from their burdens. He gives second chances, then third chances, and fourth, and on and on and on. Why can’t we forgive like that?

I don’t like to think about the past when my life was such a mess. I look at who I am today, and just for a moment, I say to myself “I could never make those mistakes again.” But the truth is I could. I am a fallible woman. I can be selfish, gossipy, lazy, self-righteous, hateful… I might look good on the outside, but my heart is far from perfect. If I’m not careful, my thoughts can be ungodly. I know that about myself. I know how easy it is to lose my way. I know the path to destruction doesn’t start with one bad choice. It begins with a tiny little thought. “I wished my spouse would be more like …” or “I deserve to be happy…”

Sarah, finding herself in a financial hole with no way out, let her thoughts become actions. “I’ll just do it this one time, and after I’m back on my feet, I’ll never do it again.”, “what could it hurt?” And the thoughts go on… “no one will ever have to know…” That’s how it works, thoughts lead to a plan and the plan leads to action.

What if we could win this battle of the mind? What if we could simply take control over our thoughts and “make them obedient to Christ”? Which thoughts do I have that don’t honor Jesus? I need to get rid of them!!!!

I know where my descent started. I know the thoughts I had, the planning and imagining… I know the little baby steps I took at the beginning of my journey. Before it began, if someone would have told me that I would do the things I did, I would have been insulted and indignant. NOT ME!!! I’m a good Christian!!! I wished I had known how little it takes to get off track so that I could have been on guard - prepared for battle. I could have protected my marriage, my family, my own heart. But I thought I couldn’t fall. I thought I would never do those things.  But I did.

What do I do to keep from ever falling into that deep pit again?

 I guard my thoughts. If Jesus wouldn’t want me to think it, I need to kick it out of my brain.

 I keep my eyes on Jesus. I remember the price He paid for my sins.

 I read, pray, praise and thank Him for my family and all my blessings.

 Before I do anything, I ask myself: If Jesus was physically standing by my side, would I still do what I’m about to do? Would I still go to the place where I want to go? Would I say the words getting ready to tumble out of my mouth?

 When I think I’m not appreciated, I ask myself: Do I ever take others for granted? How can I make the people in my life feel appreciated? Can I be the Hero in my relationships?

 I refuse to be offended. I just don’t go there in my mind. Let it go. Don’t think about it.

 I give others the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they’re having a really bad day, and their words are just coming out all wrong. I chose to forgive - because HE forgives me.

And oh, by the way, I forgive myself when I fail to do any of these things, which is often.

There’s a bumper sticker, “Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven.” I love it! I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But God loves me with all my faults and flaws. He has compassion on me when I fail because He knows I am just dirt (Psalm 103:13-14). He loves me. He knows every thought that pops into my head, and HE still loves me. (Psalm 139:2-4) How great is that?

I hate the pain I caused to the ones I loved most. I hate it. But God in His infinite mercy, uses the pain and sadness I feel over those mistakes to draw me nearer to HIM. I am grateful for the lesson God showed me. Newsflash!!! I am human and my human nature is not good. I know without a doubt who I am without Jesus, what I’m capable of. Yes, I can put on a nice face and look pretty respectable. But as I sit smugly thinking what a great person I am, Satan is plotting and scheming to bring me down. (1 Peter 5:8) He watches, and he sees my weaknesses, and he patiently lies in wait, pouncing at just the right time. “No one will know” he whispers. “It will be our little secret” he promises. But he is a liar; in fact he is the father of lies. (John 8:44) But we want those lies to be true, so we listen (2 Timothy 4:3), then we begin to justify in our mind, and we start taking baby steps down, down, down...

I’m so very thankful to Jesus that I am not under the power of Satan any more. (Colossians 2:20) I still make lots of mistakes every day. My human nature can seriously trip me up from time to time. But, then Jesus picks me up and dusts me off - and I’m like new again. (Psalm 103:11-13)

I belong to the King of the Universe. I am HIS, bought and paid for with His very blood. HE defeated my enemy, and He has given me His very Spirit to guide, protect, strengthen and rescue me from every situation. Every time I reject Satan’s lies, I do it by the Power of the Holy Spirit. And the more I refuse to listen to the lies of the Enemy, the more clearly I can hear Jesus whispering in my ear, “the Spirit in you, child, is greater than the spirit of this world. Be strong, resist the devil and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7)

And it starts with simply capturing that little thought.

Psalm 103:11-13 (New Living Translation)
For his unfailing love toward those who fear him
is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.
He has removed our sins as far from us
as the east is from the west.
The LORD is like a father to his children,
tender and compassionate to those who fear him.

Psalm 139:2-4 (New Living Translation)
For his unfailing love toward those who fear him
is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.
He has removed our sins as far from us
as the east is from the west.
The LORD is like a father to his children,
tender and compassionate to those who fear him.

1 Peter 5:8 (New Living Translation)
Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.

John 8:44 (New Living Translation)
For you are the children of your father the devil and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.


2 Timothy 4:3 (New Living Translation)
For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.


Colossians 2:20a (New Living Translation)
You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world


James 4:7-8 (New Living Translation)
So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come close to God, and God will come close to you.


http://youtu.be/b9JqhYTjHl0  - Before the Throne of God Above - Shane and Shane


Holy Father, You provide everything I need for life and godliness.  You are patient and forgiving, full of grace and mercy.  I'm so thankful for Your love and forgiveness.  Father, thank You for sending Your precious Son to die for me.  Because of His amazing love, my sins are forgiven.  My wounded soul is healed. 
Father, when I am weak, it is Your strength that upholds me.  When I take my eyes off of Jesus, it's Your Holy Spirit that draws me back.  You, Holy God, are always with me providing strength, courage, encouragement and hope. I know who I am without You to guide me, and I don't want to be that person. I can't do this life on my own and because of Jesus'sacrifice, I don't have to.  He is my Shepherd.  He leads me to safety through every danger and carries me when I cannot walk another step.  I will fear no evil because You are with me.  Thank You for loving me.  Thank You for saving me.  I give You all my praise and worship for You alone are worthy!  Be glorified in my life, Lord.  I am Yours forever.  I pray this in the blessed Name of my Redeemer, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment