Wednesday, November 2, 2011


http://youtu.be/rVcCKe2sz0Y - Give me Your Eyes by Brandon Heath



Have you seen this post on Facebook?

The Girl you just called fat, she's been starving herself & has lost over 30lbs. The Boy you just called stupid? Has a learning disability & studies over 4hrs a night. The Girl you just called ugly? Spends hours putting makeup on hoping people will like her. The Boy you just tripped? He's abused enough at home. The girl you called "Jesus Freak", she spends hours in prayer for you. There's a lot more to people than you think. Put this as your status if you're against bullying!

It's a good reminder. People are hurting and instead of encouraging and coming along side them, we sometimes make their pain even worse by our words and actions. I don't want to do that today. I don't want to do that ever.

God tells us in His Word that we are to encourage one another. He also tells us how powerful our words are. We can build people up (encourage) or we can tear them down. One careless word can do great harm to someone who is already feeling discouraged or alone.

Today, I have a challenge for you. Look around you. Really pay attention to the people God puts in your life. They are there for a reason. Look at them the way Jesus does. Can you see their pain? Do you see worry or discouragement? Instead of a cursory, "hi, how are you?". what if you really stopped to hear their answer to that question?

People are hurting. People you know and deal with every day are hurting. They are struggling with sickness, financial worries, divorce/separation, depression, ... Do you know that your friend may feel alone or discouraged? It's easy to ignore the signs, especially when they are so good at acting like everything is great. I dare say that there are very few people in this world who are really doing "great!". I guess the whole point of this message is we need to reach out with love to those around us, so that when they are ready to reach back, they will know we truly care.

What does Jesus see?

One thing I know is true. When you see someone "acting out", doing things that draw attention to themselves, chances are they are hurting. The "acting out" that we see, and unfortunately, that we judge, may really be a scream for help. Are you listening, or do you judge and condemn without taking the time to reach out and show you care?

What would Jesus do?

Today, my challenge to myself and to you, is to reach out, let's show people we really care by taking an extra moment to listen to their answer when we ask "How are you?" If they say "fine", look into their eyes and say, "are you really fine?" We might be surprised by their answer.

Today, I'm going to try to take "me" out of my conversations. I'm going to listen more and talk less about "me". Maybe then my friends will know I care about what's happening in their lives.

James 3:17
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no partiality and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness.

Ephesians 4:29 ESV
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.


Philippians 4:8 ESV
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.


Proverbs 10:21 NLT
The words of the godly encourage many, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense.


Proverbs 31:8 NLT
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice to those who are perishing.


Proverbs 11:17 NLT
Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.


Proverbs 17:17 NLT
A friend loves you all the time, and a brother helps in time of trouble.

Proverbs 3:27-28
Whenever you are able, do good to people who need help. If you have what your neighbor asks for, don't say, "Come back later. I will give it to you tomorrow."


Hebrews 10:24 NLT
Think of ways to encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of His coming back again is drawing near.

Hebrews 3:13 ESV
But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.


Acts 20:35 ESV
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”


Prayer
Merciful Father, thank You for loving me and showing me how to love others by Your example. Thank You for Your patience when I am slow to learn or too caught up in my own problems and cares to notice the pain others are feeling. I'm sorry that I fail so miserably most days.

I want to see what Jesus sees. I want to be an encourager, someone who makes things better, not worse. Open my eyes and soften my heart towards others so that I can make a difference for You in their lives.

I give You this day, Lord. Use me for Your glory, for You alone are worthy of all my praise and devotion. In Jesus' precious Name I pray. Amen.



http://youtu.be/g_m2FkisN98 - I Refuse - Josh Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment