Monday, November 21, 2011

The Power of Words

Proverbs 17:28

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.


http://youtu.be/RkEcr3QI4c8 - Let My Words Be Few - Philips Craig and Dean


You are God in heaven  and here am I on earth
So I'll let my words be few
Jesus, I am so in love with You

And I'll stand in awe of You, Jesus
Yes, I'll stand in awe of You
And I'll let my words be few
Jesus, I am so in love with You

The simplest of all love songs I want to bring to You
So I'll let my words be few
Jesus, I am so in love with You

Words are powerful. They can be a weapon for destruction or an instrument for peace. Words can give life or bring death. The words that come out of our mouths speak to what is in our hearts.

Matthew 12:34 tniv
You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

"For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."  When I hear someone constantly complaining, speaking negatively, speaking before they think, using destructive words to bully or control others, I know a little bit about their heart.

Guarding our tongues is the hardest thing to do, but we have a promise that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Philippians 4:13  If God tells us to do something, He'll give us everything we need to do it.

Yelling back when someone yells at us, angrily defending ourselves when we've been unjustly criticized or accused, returning evil for evil - those responses only escalate a situation taking it from bad to worse. Nobody really wins.

God has explained how to use our words for good, "A soft answers turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger" Proverbs 15:1. He tells us to think before we speak - "The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil" Proverbs 15:28

Why did God give so many passages warning us about our words?

I'm not great at holding my tongue but I've gotten much better. The most amazing thing happens when I do. When I am being verbally attacked, and I refuse to retaliate with my own angry words, the situation calms down. Why? God told us. A gentle answer will defuse most of those encounters. So why don't I remember that in the heat of an argument?

I can disagree respectfully. Colossians 4:6 - "Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone." Speak the truth in love.

Ephesians 4:14b-15 - We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. 15 Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.


I loved these quotes:

You have not converted a man because you have silenced him

- John Morley


Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.

Josh Billings


"He who establishes his argument by noise and command

shows that his reason is weak."

- Michel de Montaigne



Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.


Proverbs 12:15
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.


Proverbs 12:16
A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays calm when insulted.


Proverbs 12:18
Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.


Proverbs 12:23
The wise don’t make a show of their knowledge, but fools broadcast their foolishness.



Prayer

Lord, I pray Your Holy Spirit would guard my mouth so that I will speak only words that edify and bring life. Help me to not be a grumbler, complainer, a gossiper, a user of foul language, or one who destroys with her words, but help me be disciplined enough to keep my conversation godly. Your Word says if I desire a long life, I must keep my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking deceit (Psalm 34:12-13). Show me how to do that. Fill me with Your love so that out of the overflow of my heart will pour words that build up and do not tear down.


May Your Spirit of love reign in the words I speak so that I don't miscommunicate or wound another. Help me to show others respect and to speak words that encourage. Help me to be able to resolve differences I may have with others with graciousness and without strife. Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:14)


~~~ from The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian ~~~


1 Peter 3:9-12
Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it.  For the Scriptures say,


“If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days,
 keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies.
Turn away from evil and do good.
Search for peace, and work to maintain it.
The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right,
and his ears are open to their prayers.


Proverbs 10:11
The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions.

James 3:3-12
For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong.  In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches.


But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.


People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish,  but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison.  Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God.  And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!  Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water?  Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can’t draw fresh water from a salty spring.

Proverbs 10:13
Wise words come from the lips of people with understanding, but those lacking sense will be beaten with a rod.


Proverbs 10:20
The words of the godly are like sterling silver; the heart of a fool is worthless.

Proverbs 10:21
The words of the godly encourage many, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense.


Proverbs 10:32
The lips of the godly speak helpful words, but the mouth of the wicked speaks perverse words.


Proverbs 11:9
With their words, the godless destroy their friends, but knowledge will rescue the righteous.


Proverbs 12:6
The words of the wicked are like a murderous ambush, but the words of the godly save lives.


Proverbs 12:14
Wise words bring many benefits, and hard work brings rewards.

Proverbs 12:18
Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.


Proverbs 15:1
A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.


Proverbs 15:4
Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.


Proverbs 15:28
The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words.


Proverbs 16:21
The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant words are persuasive.

Proverbs 16:23
From a wise mind comes wise speech; the words of the wise are persuasive.


Proverbs 16:24
Kind words are like honey—sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.

Proverbs 16:27
Scoundrels create trouble; their words are a destructive blaze.


Proverbs 17:27
A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered.


Proverbs 18:4
Wise words are like deep waters; wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook.


Proverbs 18:21
The tongue can bring death or life;
those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

These are just a few of the passages I found that warn us about our words.  Do you get the feeling that how we talk matters to God?  Our words are powerful; Proverbs 18:21 - "the tongue can bring death or life".  We can lift people up or strike them down.  How we use our words is very important.

What if today, we spoke blessings instead of curses? What if we used gentle words to speak love into an angry confrontation? What if we looked past the anger to the hurt or frustration that fuels the anger?

Today, will I speak Life or death?   I choose to speak life.

http://youtu.be/7SIegm0Eou4 - I Speak Life - Donald Lawrence

 

No comments:

Post a Comment