Monday, December 12, 2011

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you like wheat."

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.”
                                                           2 Corinthians 12:9



http://youtu.be/yvgvYFxW_QM - I'll take you back - Jeremy Camp

Luke 22:31-34
“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. 32 But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers.”
Peter said, “Lord, I am ready to go to prison with you, and even to die with you.”
But Jesus said, “Peter, let me tell you something. Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.”


Peter was one of Jesus' closest friends while on earth.  He was bold and quick to defend the faith.  But Jesus knew what was coming.  Peter would be tempted, and he would fall.  I read some commentaries about this passage.  I never really paid much attention to that fact that Jesus called Peter by his given name "Simon".  Some think that this was deliberate.  "Peter" means rock, indicating solid and steadfastness.  Jesus knew "Simon" would not stand strong for the temptation that was coming, so He called him by his given name.  But notice that Jesus repeated the name:  "Simon, Simon".  Again, generally, when we see a name repeated, a sincere earnestness and love towards the person being addressed.  We see it in Exodus 3:4 the LORD God calling out to Moses with strong familiarity and affection:  "And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I."
We see the same thing in Genesis 22:11:  But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here am I.”

Just like with Abraham and Moses, Jesus wanted to get Peter's attention because what He was about to say was critical.  He wanted Peter to know that HE would take Peter back - even when after his denial that was coming.  Jesus also wanted "Simon" to remember that he was vulnerable to Satan's attack, but the important think to remember was that "Peter" would rise up after that horrible denial to strengthen the others.

I found it interested that many bible translations recognize that the "you" above is plural - not singular.  Which seems to indicate that Jesus was warning Peter that  more than one of the apostles/disciples would be tempted.  And that when Peter turned back to Him, he was to help the others by strengthening their faith.  This plural "you" fits since almost all of the others did turn away, leaving Jesus alone to face the crucifixion.

Why did God allow Satan to "sift them like wheat"?  HE is in control and He has power over the Enemy.  We see here and in Job, that Satan cannot "sift" anyone without God's permission, so why would HE allow this to happen ever?  But especially at this critical time when Jesus needed his friends, didn't HE?

Over the years, I've heard many people testify to the power of enduring through struggles.  Though the struggles are never fun, an amazing thing happens. Those who endure, those who keep their eyes on Christ, trusting in Him, come through those difficult times stronger and more deeply reliant on Jesus.  Their faith is made stronger and that makes them powerful witnesses.  Others see their faith and are drawn to the One who gives them  unexplainable Strength.  That is part of God's purpose and plan for each of us - to be a light that reflects Jesus to the lost so that they can come to know Him. 

The story of Peter denying Jesus is hard to read.  It hurts me for Peter.  It hurts me for Jesus. I think for Peter, nothing would have been worse than turning his back on His Friend.  The guilt and shame of that moment could have destroyed him.  I'm certain that Satan used that moment in time to attack Peter throughout his life.  Nothing else would have discouraged him and made him feel more worthless that that denial.  But Jesus gave him something to hold to.  He threw Peter a life line of hope and love.  "When you have repented and turn to me again" - that one sentence had such purpose.  Jesus is saying "Simon, Simon, I know how you're going to feel but do not let Satan win this battle.  You will get through this.  And when you do, you must help the others to be strong.  Don't let them give up!"

After Peter denied Jesus, after the crucifixion and resurrection, Peter goes back to fishing.  I can just imagine how depressed and discouraged he must have felt.  He had been the leader of the apostles - strong in his faith, willing to die with Jesus if he had to, but then...

Now, Jesus has shown Himself to the disciples.  They know without a doubt He is the Messiah.  But they go fishing!  Jesus has some serious work for them to do, and so He appears once again.  Watch how he turns to Simon Peter.

John 21
Later, Jesus appeared again to the disciples beside the Sea of Galilee. This is how it happened.  Several of the disciples were there—Simon Peter, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples.


Simon Peter said, “I’m going fishing.”

“We’ll come, too,” they all said. So they went out in the boat, but they caught nothing all night.

At dawn Jesus was standing on the beach, but the disciples couldn’t see who he was. 5 He called out, “Fellows, have you caught any fish?”

“No,” they replied.

Then he said, “Throw out your net on the right-hand side of the boat, and you’ll get some!” So they did, and they couldn’t haul in the net because there were so many fish in it.

Then the disciple Jesus loved said to Peter, “It’s the Lord!” When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his tunic (for he had stripped for work), jumped into the water, and headed to shore.  The others stayed with the boat and pulled the loaded net to the shore, for they were only about a hundred yards from shore. When they got there, they found breakfast waiting for them—fish cooking over a charcoal fire, and some bread.

“Bring some of the fish you’ve just caught,” Jesus said. So Simon Peter went aboard and dragged the net to the shore. There were 153 large fish, and yet the net hadn’t torn.

“Now come and have some breakfast!” Jesus said. None of the disciples dared to ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord.  Then Jesus served them the bread and the fish. 14 This was the third time Jesus had appeared to his disciples since he had been raised from the dead.

After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”

“Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.

Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”

“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.

A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.

“I tell you the truth, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked; you dressed yourself and went wherever you wanted to go. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will dress you and take you where you don’t want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to let him know by what kind of death he would glorify God. Then Jesus told him, “Follow me.”

Three times Jesus asked Simon Peter, "Do you love me?"   Three times. 

Three denials followed by three strong professions of love.  How perfect.

Jesus used Peter to spread the Good News to the Jews and some Gentiles.  He used Peter to encourage and teach and admonish the other apostles and followers.  Peter was a strong, steadfast rock.  He understood where his strength came from, and it wasn't form "Simon".  It was from His Savior, Jesus the Christ.  Without that time of struggle, without the temptation, Peter may have never known where the source of his strength. 
The denials humbled him and caused him to rely completely on Jesus from that day forward. 

LORD God, I don't like the struggles, but I do want a faith like Peter's.  I want to be a rock for Jesus, steadfast, unmovable in my faith.  I want to be Your witness to others.  You've give me the most wonderful gift of all, Salvation in Jesus' Name.  I want everyone I know to have that Gift, to know Jesus as their Savior and Lord.  Help me to see the struggles as  a Divine refining process that You will use to strengthen me, a tool You can use to help me keep my eyes on Jesus.  I don't like to suffer or hurt, or watch family and friends hurt, and I know as much as I hate it, You hate it even more, because You love them even more than I do.  So I put all my trust in You and Your perfect plan.  Use me, mold me into the person I need to be so that You, Lord, will be lifted up in my life.  In the precious Name of Jesus I pray these things. Amen.


http://youtu.be/t6awdZ1cekk - Refiner's Fire - Hillsong


















No comments:

Post a Comment