Thursday, January 26, 2012

There is a reason to sing.



http://youtu.be/kkdniYsUrM8 - All of Creation - Mercy Me

Revelation 5  NIV
Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”



6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits[a] of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:


“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.

10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth.”


11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying:


“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”


14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

There's a reason to sing.

There is a reason for us to sing praises to our glorious and awesome God.  But did you know that He sings over you?

http://youtu.be/yz7W85di7Qw  - More  sung by children's choir
Take a look at the mountains
Stretching a mile high
Take a look at the ocean
Far as your eye can see
And think of Me

Take a look at the desert
Do you feel like a grain of sand?
I am with you wherever
Where you go is where I am

And I'm always thinking of you
Take a look around you
I'm spelling it out one by one

(Chorus)

I love you more than the sun
And the stars that I taught how to shine
You are mine, and you shine for me too
I love you yesterday and today
And tomorrow, I'll say it again and again
I love you more

Just a face in the city
Just a tear on a crowded street
But you are one in a million
And you belong to Me
And I want you to know
That I'm not letting go
Even when you come undone

(Chorus)

I love you more than the sun
And the stars that I taught how to shine
You are mine, and you shine for me too
I love you yesterday and today
And tomorrow, I'll say it again and again
I love you more
I love you more

Shine for Me
Shine for Me
Shine on, shine on
Shine for Me

Did you know that God sings over you? 

God, the Creator of the Universe, sings over you with joy! 

Zephaniah 3:17 NIV 1984
The LORD your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."

Our awesome God rejoices over us!  Think for just a minute how much He loves us.  And out of  His deep love, He has designed an incredible life of purpose and meaning for each of us. When we do things that work towards His purpose, I can just imagine the joy He feels.  His joy must fill the heavens.  And when God rejoicing, it must be so contagious that it spreads throughout the heavens!  Can't you just hear the angels joining in the celebration, singing for joy?

Heaven will be full of singing and praising and celebrating.  God paints us this beautiful picture throughout His Word.

Our ladies' class is doing Beth Moore's "Stepping Up" bible study on Wednesday nights.  It's a study of the Psalms of Ascent - Psalm 120-134.  It's a great study and our goal is to experience a closer relationship with our amazing God.  Last night as we listened to Beth's video, we learned how important song is to God.  I think most people are like me and  have a tendency to think of God being a stern judge sitting on a throne almost unapproachable.  But as we read His Word, we see that God rejoices over us.  He celebrates, and His mighty host of angels celebrate with Him.  

There is glorious singing going on in heavenly places.  Even Jesus breaks into song and praises the Father.

Hebrews 2:10-12 NIV
In bringing many sons and daughters to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through what He suffered.  Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are the same family.  So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters.  He says,

"I will declare Your name to my brothers and sisters;
in the assembly I will sing Your praises."

Last night's bible study made me look at God in a different way.  He who created song, rejoices over me! 
What a beautiful thought!  Music was not man's idea.  It was God's creation!

One other thing Beth Moore discussed was how song can lift our spirits and touch our hearts in a way that words can't.
She's right.  I can read the words to a song and be relatively unaffected by them.  But put those same words to music, and my heart overflows with emotion.  My attitude can be changed just by singing a song.  I have to credit my friends from the Christian Band - Mercy Me for showing me how to praise God with music and song.  The first time I heard "I can only Imagine", those words had such a powerful affect on my heart.  I felt like falling on knees at the thought of being in His presence - so unworthy in and of myself, yet so thankful to be covered by His precious blood.  That song gave me a way to express my worship and adoration to my God better than any thing I'd tried in the past.  That song of praise has meaning to me and I sing it from my heart. The funny thing is that  I can speak the words of the song and not be moved.  The moment I hear them set to music, those same words become my worship.  Music and song - right from God!

When I was younger I had just broken up with my boyfriend.  I had been monogamous, but he had been seeing another girl at the same time he was dating me.  I decided that was not going to work so I ended it.  Every morning I woke up feeling down.  My heart was broken.  I felt so sad.  But then as I got ready for work, I'd put on a cassette (remember before CD's?) and play a song:   "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor.

http://youtu.be/DuRgQlfpD0U - I will survive!

Within the first couple beats I was dancing around the bathroom, singing into my hairbrush, revived and ready to face the day!  I felt unbeatable!  All because of a song. 

If Gloria Gaynor's song could lift my spirits and change the attitude of my heart, why don't I use song now to lift my spirits when I'm discouraged and down? 

While God was creating the Universe, the morning
stars sang together and all the angels shouted
for joy.  Job 38:7
Beth Moore reminded me of the importance of song in my life.  But she also helped me see God in a different light. 

Heaven is full of song and music and rejoicing.  And not just the heavens, even the rocks and hills cry out singing His praise!  Just read the Revelation of John and see how many times music and song are referenced.  From the very beginning, God tells us the morning stars sang together and the angels shouted for joy!  Job 38:7 .  God even dedicated a whole book in His Word to songs - the Psalms.  Music is important to God. 

Praise God in the morning and all throughout the day.  Praise Him with song when you're happy or when you're sad.  I promise you will feel better when you lift up a song of praise to the One who loves you more than anyone on earth has or will ever love you.

Psalm 150 NIV


1 Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.


2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.


3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,


4 praise him with timbrel and dancing,
praise him with the strings and pipe,


5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.


6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

http://youtu.be/KJd2oeePfh8 - Everything that has breath praise the Lord - Philips Craig and Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment