Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I lift up my eyes to the hills...

http://youtu.be/qa1hABLMzDE - I will lift my eyes - Bebo Norman

Our ladies' Bible Class is studying Beth Moore's "Stepping Up" - a study of the Psalms of Ascents.  These are songs that were most likely song by the Israelites as they made their way to worship God in Jerusalem.  As they traveled many, sometimes grueling miles, they focused on the their destination.  To them, the Temple in Jerusalem was where God was present.  So no matter how tough the journey, they kept their eyes on the hills - or mountains where they could draw near to God.  That was where they would find strength and comfort.  

Psalm 121 is our memory verse for this study.  "I lift my eyes to the hills.  From where does my help come?


Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.


3 He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.

4 Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD is your keeper;
the LORD is your shade on your right hand.


6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.


7 The LORD will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.


8 The LORD will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore.

Too many times the Israelites took their eyes off the LORD and instead, they focused on their circumstances.  They forgot all the times HE had delivered them.  They failed to give thanks and praise for His Provision and Protection.  They didn't remember His unfailing love.  When the Israelites looked down instead of up, they were lost and the Enemy could easily defeat them.  When they looked up, the LORD protected them from all evil.

I read about the Israelites, God's chosen people, and frankly, I'm disgusted by how quick they turn from Him.  But when I  am honest with myself, I am just like the Israelites.  I, too,  have been chosen by God to be His special possession, and He has promised to work all things together for my good according to His purpose for me.  If I believe God's promise, why am  I so quick to  forget how faithful He has always been to save me?  I forget to look to the Hills from whence my help comes.  I'm so thankful that Jesus came to save me from myself. Without His righteousness covering me, I'd be without hope.   I'm so thankful for the Holy Spirit living in me.  He gently reminds me that God is worthy of all my trust, and even when I take my eyes off God for a time, the Holy Spirit draws me back.   I am so thankful for the LORD's patience and His amazing love.  Why He choose me?  I'm so unworthy of His love and grace.  But I'm His child, purchased and redeemed with the blood of His precious Son, and that makes all the difference.

Today, I'm looking up!  My help comes from the Maker of heaven and earth.


The following is from "A Treasury of Praise" by Ruth Myers with Warren Myers:

LORD, I extol You for Your great power toward us who believe -- Your tremendous, invincible power that works in us and for us... the same almighty strength You used when You raised Jesus from the dead and seated Him far above all other powers, visible and invisible.  You are able to do infinitely beyond all our highest prayers or thoughts.  Nothing is impossible with You!

Thank You that when I praise You and bring my requests to You in simple faith, I plug into Your almighty power...that when I offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving, I open a door for You to rescue me and bless my life, and I prepare the way for You to rescus and bless other people, near and far.

Ephesians 3:12 NIV 1984
In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.



Hebrews 10:19-22 NIV 1984
Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.



Hebrews 4:16 NIV 1984
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.



Romans 5:17 NIV 1984
For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.



Philippians 4:6 NIV1984
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present
your requests to God.



Psalm 62:8 NIV 1984
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

1 John 1:8-10 NIV 1984
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.


Proverbs 28:13 NIV 1984
He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.


http://youtu.be/7fwI4qbLpxE - Just another mountain - Jamie Slocum

No comments:

Post a Comment