Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hunger Games - A story about what really matters

http://youtu.be/FovFG3N_RSU - The Hunger Games trailer

Tyler had to read this book over the summer for  Sophomore English at Dallas Christian School.  I read the book, too, just so that I could discuss it with Tyler as he read it.  We both couldn't put it down.  I felt an immediate bond to the main characters and couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.  What I took
away from the series was not how violent and gory it was but how evil this world can be at times.  Our only hope is Christ and living for Him - not for ourselves.  When we live for Him, we care about others as much as we care about ourselves.

This book had some violence, to be sure, but it had some powerful moments of self-sacrifice and caring about the welfare of others.  I loved Catniss, Primrose, Gayle and Peta.  I'm glad I got to know them.

Jesus took my place. Catniss took her sister's place.  What greater love...

If you're concerned about your child watching the movie, I would suggest that you watch it yourself first or read the book.  I think you'll see that it's a movie that can open up the channels for some great conversation with your children.  If you decide it's too much for your kids, at least they will know that you took the time to see it before making a decision that it was not acceptable.

Here's a link from Focus on the Family regarding the much talked about "Hunger Games" movie.  Is it
okay for Christians to allow their children to see this popular film?

http://www.focusonlinecommunities.com/blogs/Finding_Home/2012/03/28/what-do-you-think-about-the-hunger-games

Although there is no mention of God, I could clearly see the difference between people who live
for the moment - live for this world compared to those who put others before themselves.
That's what God tells us to do. He gave us two commands - Love Him and Love others as we loves ourselves.  Hunger Games is definitely about some people who loved others more than themselves.

I loved this series of books and believe that teens who read the book or watch the movie
can see the, shall I use Solomon's words from Ecclesiates? MEANINGLESS! of life lived
for oneself.  Life lived for others is good. Life lived for God is meaningful beyond words.
------------------------------------------------

This is a review left on the Focus on the Family website review page  and he/she said it better than I could.  Several people left comments.  L.T.'s comments were insightful.  In other words, I agree totally!  =D

Mar 28, 2012 2:26 PM L. T. says:

I wasn’t sure at first why the movie The Hunger Games (book by Suzanne Collins) caused me such a great deal of discomfort. Yes, there’s the fattening before the slaughter, followed by the brutal killing of innocent children, and then the sick fans who were entertained by the suffering of others. But now I know why this movie strikes a cord way down into my very core, it’s because it’s us.

People call me intense, but after seeing the opening record numbers from this movie, maybe intense is what we want.

Fact–everyone in the human race has their name in a lottery much like the one in the movie. It’s a date with death and someday your number will be drawn. But until then, we have some time to figure out a few things. For instance, how will you spend your time?

We could spend that time filling ourselves with rich food and entertainment just like those in the movie. We can fixate our attention on people we have made famous, spending tons of hours and Internet minutes finding out what they wear, how they eat, what sins they’ve committed and all the naughty things they will say and do next, and be thrilled by it.

We can spend our hours trying to take down those around us in a feeble attempt to make ourselves look better. We can get really good at it, devising weapons to advance our greedy goals and desires.

We can commit the ultimate sin against life by becoming apathetic. Doing nothing. Caring about no one. Refraining from investing the time and sacrifice it requires to learn something valuable. Spending oodles of time becoming passive characters, living vicariously through the pretend people on TV. Refusing to become someone in our own right by not exercising the god-given talent that has been placed in our care.

If I was really honest with myself, I’d know that through the character Katniss I saw the futility of this world and at times my own life. That there are more important things to spend my time doing and thinking about. After all the clock is ticking. Many hours have passed already and my name could be drawn anytime.

I wonder what would happen if I truly embraced that reality and chose to start living smarter…today.

No comments:

Post a Comment