Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Keeping the Faith

http://youtu.be/e8HgAVenbUU- Bring the Rain - Mercy Me 


Why do good people suffer?

We know that Job was a good man.  God Himself called Job "blameless and upright, a man who fears God, and shuns evil."  Job 1:9   So why in the world did God throw Job under the bus?  This is a hard passage for me to read. 

Job 1
There once was a man named Job who lived in the land of Uz. He was blameless—a man of complete integrity. He feared God and stayed away from evil.  He had seven sons and three daughters.  He owned 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 teams of oxen, and 500 female donkeys. He also had many servants. He was, in fact, the richest person in that entire area.



Job’s sons would take turns preparing feasts in their homes, and they would also invite their three sisters to celebrate with them. When these celebrations ended—sometimes after several days—Job would purify his children. He would get up early in the morning and offer a burnt offering for each of them. For Job said to himself, “Perhaps my children have sinned and have cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular practice.

Job’s First Test

One day the members of the heavenly court came to present themselves before the Lord, and the Accuser, Satan, came with them. “Where have you come from?” the Lord asked Satan.


Satan answered the Lord, “I have been patrolling the earth, watching everything that’s going on.”

Then the Lord asked Satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? He is the finest man in all the earth. He is blameless—a man of complete integrity. He fears God and stays away from evil.”

Satan replied to the Lord, “Yes, but Job has good reason to fear God. You have always put a wall of protection around him and his home and his property. You have made him prosper in everything he does. Look how rich he is!  But reach out and take away everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face!”

All right, you may test him,” the Lord said to Satan.Do whatever you want with everything he possesses, but don’t harm him physically.” So Satan left the Lord’s presence.

One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting at the oldest brother’s house,  a messenger arrived at Job’s home with this news: “Your oxen were plowing, with the donkeys feeding beside them,  when the Sabeans raided us. They stole all the animals and killed all the farmhands. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

While he was still speaking, another messenger arrived with this news: “The fire of God has fallen from heaven and burned up your sheep and all the shepherds. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”


While he was still speaking, a third messenger arrived with this news: “Three bands of Chaldean raiders have stolen your camels and killed your servants. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

While he was still speaking, another messenger arrived with this news: “Your sons and daughters were feasting in their oldest brother’s home. Suddenly, a powerful wind swept in from the wilderness and hit the house on all sides. The house collapsed, and all your children are dead. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”


Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship. He said,

“I came naked from my mother’s womb,
 and I will be naked when I leave.
 The Lord gave me what I had,
 and the Lord has taken it away.
 Praise the name of the Lord!”

 In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.

 The first thing I noticed is that Job is rich.  In fact he is the wealthiest man in the entire area.  He had seven sons and three daughters.  It sounds like they were a close family because the sons would have feasts in each of their homes and invite the sisters to join in the festivals.  Job was the spiritual leader of his family because after his children had a time of celebrating, he would offer a burnt offering - just in case one of his children might have sinned.  God considered Job blameless and upright - full of integrity.  Not only did Job fear God, he shunned evil.  

Job lived a life that honored God.  He had every reason to think highly of himself.  He had success, riches, he was well respected in the community.  He had a good family.  When life is going well, it's easy to forget how much we need God.  But Job didn't forget.  And God blessed him greatly.

Obviously, God was very proud of Job.  He brags on Job:  “Have you noticed my servant Job? He is the finest man in all the earth. He is blameless—a man of complete integrity. He fears God and stays away from evil.”   Satan does he best to put Job down, to make him look less in God's eyes.  He immediately begins by saying "Of course he's good.  You give him everything a man could want.  You've put a hedge of protection around him, his family and his property!  Why wouldn't he honor you!  As long as you keep giving him everything he wants, of course he'll praise you! But you take that away, and Job will turn against you so quickly!"

I think Satan might have a memory problem.  Remember how God had blessed Satan before he fell?

Ezekiel 28:12-15
“You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and exquisite in beauty.
 You were in Eden, the garden of God.


Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone— red carnelian, pale-green peridot,
white moonstone, blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper, blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald—
 beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold. They were given to you on the day you were created.

I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian.
You had access to the holy mountain of God and walked among the stones of fire.

“You were blameless in all you did from the day you were created
 until the day evil was found in you.

Satan was a beautiful angel.  Look at the way he was adorned with every precious stone.  He was appointed
to the very prestigious roll of mighty angelic guardian! A cheribim!  What honor God bestowed on Satan!  He had a very high ranking in God's heavenly hosts.  But unlike Job, Satan was selfish.  He craved more power and more authority.  He wanted to be like God in every way. 

  • Job was humble.  Satan was puffed up!
  • Job praised God through every test.  Satan wanted the praise for himself.

God had full authority over Satan and could have stripped him of all his power the moment Satan rebelled.  But instead He allowed Satan to roam about the earth.  He allowed Satan to test Job and He allows Satan to test us.   Why?  I think God is showing Satan that His children are stronger and that we are loyal - unlike Satan had been.  God is teaching the prince of this world that we humans are His special creation, and we have a very special relationship with God.  Because of His great love for us, He sent His own Son to save us from the Enemy. We humans who put our trust in Jesus have access to the Spirit of God which is stronger and more powerful than the spirit (Satan) of this world.  We humans fight - not by might nor strength, but by God's Holy Spirit!  We can stand tall against the Enemy as long as we lift high our sheild of faith!

This testing of Job's faithfulness seems to be for Satan's benefit.  I think God was showing Satan that even  human beings who were made a little lower than the angels, can be stronger and more worthy than Satan and the fallen angels that followed him in rebellion.  God was showed Satan that a lowly man who honors God is strong enough to stand firm against temptation.  Job was stronger than Satan because Job continually praised God regardless of his situation.  And when men honor God, God lifts them up!  Don't you just know Satan hated that God was proud of this mere human!  This lowly man!  He tried everything he knew to bring Job down - to shake his faith, but Job stayed firm.

My good friend, Cayce, has faced many struggles - many tests in her life.  I have always been amazed at her faith through every challenge.  She said her secret to facing those difficult times was to imagine God speaking of her as He spoke of Job:  "Have you considered my servant Cayce?  She is blameless, a woman of complete integrity. She fears God and stays away from evil.” 

When I grow up, I want to be just like Cayce.  And I want God to be proud of me, like He was proud of Job; like I know He is proud of Cayce, too. 

I don't have to know why God allows the suffering.  I just have to keep trusting in His amazing love.  The love that allowed His precious Son to come to earth, suffer every imaginable pain and anguish, so that I could be with God in Eternity. That's a love I know I can trust.  A love which desires good for me, not evil. 

Please note:
  • Satan sent lightning (fire from the sky) and a tornado (winds from every direction blew down the son's house)
  • Satan can cause men to rise up against one another - he obviously stirred up the Chaldeans.
  • Eventually, Satan inflicts bodily harm on Job himself.

Satan is not without power.  But God is still in control.  I believe if God allows a temptation or a struggle in our lives, He will use that struggle to accomplish good.  I don't understand why bad things have to happen to good people, but I've seen inspiring faith among those who consistently turn to God during those temptations and trials that Satan sends their way.  My faith has grown stronger because of their testimony. And I know I'm not the only one who has experienced that increase in faith. 

Satan causes illness, maybe not every illness, but definitely some.  In Luke we read of the woman who had been crippled for 18 years by an evil spirit.  Jesus healed her.  He said she had been held in bondage by Satan for 18 years.  Satan caused that innocent woman to be crippled.  But Jesus was more powerful than Satan.  He healed that woman.  I know Jesus has the power to heal every sickness or disease.  If He doesn't heal my sickness or resolve my struggle, I will still praise Him.  He knows the future.  He has a plan for me that I cannot imagine. I believe that any suffering He allows in my life has value for the Kingdom.  I may never know what the value is, but I will keep my eyes on Jesus and trust His wisdom to use me however He sees fit. 

Luke 13:16

ne Sabbath day as Jesus was teaching in a synagogue, he saw a woman who had been crippled by an evil spirit. She had been bent double for eighteen years and was unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, “Dear woman, you are healed of your sickness!” Then he touched her, and instantly she could stand straight. How she praised God!
But the leader in charge of the synagogue was indignant that Jesus had healed her on the Sabbath day. “There are six days of the week for working,” he said to the crowd. “Come on those days to be healed, not on the Sabbath.” 
But the Lord replied, “You hypocrites! Each of you works on the Sabbath day! Don’t you untie your ox or your donkey from its stall on the Sabbath and lead it out for water? This dear woman, a daughter of Abraham, has been held in bondage by Satan for eighteen years. Isn’t it right that she be released, even on the Sabbath?”


Why do I continue to trust Him even in the hard times?  Because He died for me, and I know He has a plan for good and not evil, to give me a hope and a future.  Yes, He allows times of suffering, but those times have purpose.  He allowed the Israelites to be in captivity for seventy years.  But just as He promised, He brought them home again.  He'll bring me home, too, at just the right time, according to His plan and purpose for me.

Jeremiah 29:10b-14a
This is what the Lord says: “You will be in Babylon for seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you,” says the Lord.

This life is just a vapor.  The time we spend on earth is nothing compared to Eternity.  If every minute is filled with pain and struggles, it will seem as light and momentary compared to what God has for us. That's what Paul said, and he suffered tremendous struggles.

2 Corinthians 4:10-18
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. 9 We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. 10 Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.


11 Yes, we live under constant danger of death because we serve Jesus, so that the life of Jesus will be evident in our dying bodies. 12 So we live in the face of death, but this has resulted in eternal life for you.
Yet we continue to preach because we have the same kind of faith the psalmist had when he said, “I believed in God, so I spoke.” 14 We know that God, who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us to himself together with you. 15 All of this is for your benefit. And as God’s grace reaches more and more people, there will be great thanksgiving, and God will receive more and more glory.

16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18 So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

That's what I want to remember.  Satan has power so I will not let my guard down. I have to be ready to stand against him every day.  But his power is nothing compared to the power of Christ.  And that power - the power of His Holy Spirit lives in me, giving me the strength to endure whatever God allows in my life.  I will keep my eyes on things that cannot be seen.   I will trust Him because I know He loves me.  That's all I need to know.


http://youtu.be/xGPS8sa-bRQ - Praise You in the Storm - Casting Crowns

Father, this is the day You have made and I will rejoice in it!  Lord, I feel Your light shining upon me.  I feel Your presence all around me.  I feel loved and protected.  No matter what comes against me today, I know that You will be with me, giving me everything I need to face any challenge that You allow.  I am never alone, Lord, for You have graciously given me Your Holy Spirit to comfort and strengthen me.  He is my constant companion and I will not fear.  Thank You, Lord, for loving me and for carrying me when I can't take another step.    I will trust in You because of Your unfailing love and faithfulness.  Whatever You allow in my life, Lord, I know You will never leave nor forsake me.  You will be my strength.  You will give me courage and wisdom for any battle I may face.  I will praise You, Lord God, even in the storms of life, for You are my God and You alone are worthy of my love and devotion.  In the mighty Name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment