Saturday, October 22, 2011

Martha, Martha...



http://youtu.be/iBu0dA0aJ04 - Give me Jesus

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing.  -- John of the Cross

Jesus and his disciples were on their way to Jerusalem when they came to Bethany, where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home.

Keep in mind that Jesus had told His disciples not to take money or food or a change of clothes as they traveled, but to accept the hospitality of one family in each town. That family would provide for the needs of the disciples the whole time they stayed there. Luke 9:2-5

The passage says Martha invited them into HER home. John 11:1 says that Lazarus lived with his sisters, Mary and Martha. Maybe Martha was widowed, and the home they shared was hers. All we know is that it was Martha's home so she had extended her hospitality to Jesus, probably after hearing Him speak. This seems to indicate that Martha had a hunger for spiritual things. She was drawn to His words and wanted to know more.

However, as we women sometimes do, Martha got distracted. She had a house full of people she needed to feed. As she scurried around trying to get the food ready, her sister, Mary, was just sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to His words.

Can you imagine the frustration Martha must have felt? She probably would have liked to be sitting in the room listening to Jesus, too, but someone had to take care of the essentials, someone had to make sure these people got fed! I can just imagine what she was thinking, in her mind, Mary wasn't helping and maybe if she would help, Martha could sit down, too, and listen to Jesus. The more she stews about it, the angrier she gets. Finally, she just can't contain herself.

Luke 10:40b "Lord, doesn't seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me."

Wow! She's basically telling Jesus what she thinks He needs to do. Obviously, Martha feels she is absolutely in the right to expect her sister to help. In Martha's eyes, this situation is completely wrong, and she expects, nearly demands that Jesus make it right.

I love the New Living Translation of verse 41 -

"But the Lord said to her, my dear Martha, you are upset over all these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary as discovered it -- and I won't take it away from her."

"My dear Martha", don't you just love that? Put your name there: My dear ___________", How does it feel? I hear Him speaking in a calm, loving voice that just melts away any hostility Martha may have felt. The NIV translation says "Martha, Martha" but I do think the translation "my dear Martha" expresses the heart of Jesus at that moment. He doesn't lash out at Martha with a "How dare you tell me what I need to do" attitude. His heart is loving and gentle. If anything, I think He must have felt a little sad that Martha had let herself get so distracted with cares of this world that she couldn't "choose the better part" as her sister had. Maybe she hadn't heard: He did it to teach you that people do not live by bread alone; rather, we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. Deuteronomy 8:3

Poor Martha. She was trying so hard to make things nice for Jesus and his disciples. They must have been hungry and tired. What she was doing was a very good thing. But Martha was so busy trying to do the "good thing" that she missed out of the best thing - sitting at Jesus' feet.

I love Martha. I understand Martha. She was a servant. Can you relate to Martha like I can? I have compassion for Martha. She tried so hard to provide comfort for her guests. Instead, Jesus could have been providing her with comfort and peace.

Sometimes, in our efforts to do good things, we forget to sit at His feet and listen. Mary discovered the better thing. Mary had her priorities in line. I want to be like Mary, too. Maybe we can learn from both of these sisters. Jesus loved them both. With Martha, He was patient and kind. He knew her intentions were good, she just didn't get it. At least not yet.

I think Martha learned something that day. Later, when her brother Lazarus died, we see her faith. Mary and Martha had sent word for Jesus to come because "the one You love is sick". Jesus intentionally delayed, knowing that He would use the death of His dear friend for much greater glory than if He simply "healed" him. Martha heard that Jesus was near and went to meet Him. Mary is the one who stayed at home this time. Can you imagine the scene? Martha must have thrown herself at Jesus' feet, weeping - "if only you had been here, my brother wouldn't have died. But even now, I know that God will give you whatever you ask." Do you see her faith? This is our little Martha in the kitchen, worrying about bread to feed her guests, and now she leaves all her family and friends to fend for themselves, and runs to her LORD, knowing He is the only one who can fix this terrible situation. Martha had faith.

John 11:17-27


17 When Jesus arrived at Bethany, he was told that Lazarus had already been in his grave for four days. 18 Bethany was only a few miles down the road from Jerusalem, 19 and many of the people had come to console Martha and Mary in their loss. 20 When Martha got word that Jesus was coming, she went to meet him. But Mary stayed in the house. 21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask.”


23 Jesus told her, “Your brother will rise again.”


24 “Yes,” Martha said, “he will rise when everyone else rises, at the last day.”


25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. 26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die.


Do you believe this, Martha?”


27 “Yes, Lord,” she told Him. “I have always believed You are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who has come into the world from God.”


Martha believed. She no longer had a problem with choosing the better. She left her guests and she ran to Jesus.

I like that.


Father, help me to run to Jesus. Help me to put Him first. Teach me to give Him top priority over everything that concerns me, because nothing else really matters without Him. Father, I want to be a servant like Martha, too. What a wonderful woman she must have been to invite Jesus and His disciples into her home. I'm sure she would have put Martha Stewart to shame with her hospitality. Thank you for telling us about Martha and how she changed her priorities. Father, thank You for showing us the compassion and gentleness of our Savior extended to a stressed out woman who wanted nothing more than to provide a nice dinner for her guests. Help me to be more like Jesus in my responses. Help me to be gentle and kind, to speak the truth in love. Just like Jesus.


Forgive me for all the times I've put things of this world before my time with You. Help me, Lord, to seek You first. I ask all these things in the Name of Jesus. Amen.

1 comment: