Wednesday, November 30, 2011

http://youtu.be/gArr7gyiMBY - When I'm On My Knees - Jaci Valasquez


Prayer doesn't change everything.
 But God does changes everything when we pray.

I can't think of any one thing that has done more for my relationship with Christ than prayer.

A few years ago Larry, Tyler and I began meeting with a small group of prayer warriors before worship time each Sunday. It was a small group - maybe 10-15 people. We didn't really know anyone in the group when we first started attending, other than by name. But it didn't take long before I felt closer to each of them than I would have every imagined.

There's something very "magical" about praying with others. Each Sunday morning as we met to pray, I saw the love and concern that each member of our prayer group had for every prayer request. There was a connection that ran deep in that room of believers - a spiritual connection with one another and also with our Father. There's no doubt in my mind that the LORD God was in that room each week as we prayed. He was revered and praised and honored. Every single one of us knew that He was in control of every circumstance, every struggle, and every illness that we were lifting up to Him. Our prayers were as much an acknowledgement of His power and wisdom as they were prayers for intercession.

When we were in that room, I remember how close I felt to my fellow prayer warriors and how close I felt to God. As we prayed for others, my heart was so full of love and compassion. You simply can't NOT feel love when you're surrounded with such a spirit of devotion to the Father, such complete reverence and awe. We began each prayer with praise and as we went around the room, each person taking a moment to lift up the Name of God, I was reminded of the awesomeness of our glorious LORD. The feelings of adoration for the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit were contagious and always gave me such peace. There's something about remembering the awesome power and wisdom and love of God that just calms my spirit and helps me feel safe in His protective arms.

We prayed for healing, of course. That always seems to be our human prayer, as if we need to tell God how to do the right thing. It's really kind of funny when I think about it. As if I'm going to tell God the best way to resolve my friend's medical condition, right? It's crazy! God loves my friend so much more than I can imagine, and HE wants good things, no, He wants the best things for my friend, so I certainly don't have to explain the preferred option to God! And it's not like I have to "remind" him of a friend's surgery, as if He might get too busy and forget! I don't think so. God doesn't forget his children. And HE is never too busy for even the smallest, most seemingly insignificant request or need. My prayer doesn't necessarily change the out come of a circumstance. It changes me and how I feel about circumstance. Giving my burdens and concerns to God reminds me that I'm never alone and that no matter what happens, He is with me.

When I put my complete trust in God - the GOD who loved me so much that HE sent His only Son to take my punishment - I know I can trust that He has my very best interest at heart. When I pray, I am acknowledging my need for Him to be in control. I'm admitting that I am helpless and cannot do anything through my own strength or power. I'm confessing that His Wisdom is so far greater than my wisdom, and that I want His will - not mine, because He has already considered the consequences of every possible answer. My wisdom sees the present, and I want healing for my friend right now. But God sees how circumstances affect others and He carefully weighs life and death matters with great love and compassion - taking everything into consideration before He allows an illness to continue, or before He restores health. Everything He does comes from His amazing love for us.

I'm not generally a big Jim Carey fan, but I watched a movie of his, "Bruce Almighty" and actually, it was pretty insightful in places. Mr. Carey's character, Bruce, is complaining about God not answering his prayers the way he would like. He imagines that if he were God, he would answer every one's prayers with a big "yes!" Well, Bruce suddenly becomes God. He has all the power to do anything he wants to do. At first it's great fun, but then all the prayer requests starting coming in. It's a bit overwhelming but he just starts saying "yes" to every one's prayer! He thinks he's doing great; after all, everyone is getting exactly what they ask for. One problem: Bruce doesn't consider how answering "yes" to one person may be counterproductive to others connected to that situation.

It becomes very real to him when he gets for several different people - all of whom want to win the lottery! Bruce answers "yes" to every one of them! The jackpot was some huge sum of money but when the winners step up to claim their winnings, each one only receives a very small amount, like $1.98 each! They were all angry and disappointed. They all got what they asked for - they won the lottery - but what they asked for was not the best answer for everyone connected to the situation.

It really was a silly movie, but it made a very good point. God weighs every situation in ways we'll never comprehend. He doesn't play with our emotions and allow bad things to continue just because He can. He's never to busy nor is HE more concerned about weightier issues than my empty checkbook! He is all powerful, all knowing, and present everywhere at every moment, He has NO limitations. So when He doesn't give us the answer we want, there is a very good reason. We may never know what that reason is, but we can trust Him.

God has a purpose for our lives, a purpose with eternal consequences. My preferred answer to illness and struggles is always "God, please fix it now! Make it be better now!" But He looks at every situation with His all knowing wisdom. I see things from an earthly perspective. He weighs every circumstance and determines which solution gives the best outcome for Eternity, not just for my short time on earth.

Our struggles and suffering may seem too hard to bear at times, but God has promised that we can do all things through Christ who will give us His strength.

Philippians 4:13
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. He has promised that we will never be tempted above our ability to resist, because He will provide a way of escape.


1 Corinthians 10:13b 
And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure. HE will provide everything we need.

2 Peter 1:3 
By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life.

1 Timothy 6:17 
Teach those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which is so unreliable. Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.

The problem is we see suffering as something we need to avoid. God sometimes see suffering as a way to draw us closer to Him, to help us become more dependent on Him. Sometimes, He uses suffering to show others our faith and His faithfulness. When we see others facing unimaginable difficulties with strength and hope, our faith can grow stronger. And we when we pray, God supernaturally increases our love and compassion for those for whom we pray.

Our prayer group at Dallas Christian prayed for a young man named Keith Beasley for almost two years. He and his wife, Judy, were anxiously looking forward to the birth of their first child who was due June 2009. But in April of 2009, Keith flew to Houston from his home in San Diego to attend his future brother-in-law's bachelor party. After a night of celebrating with the guys, Keith left the party early, went to the parking garage to get his car so he could go back to the hotel. Evidently Keith didn't feel he should get behind the wheel of a car at that moment, so he decided to sit for a minute and let his head clear, maybe wake up a bit before driving. He sat down on the outside wall of the parking garage and leaned against the column. We know that because security cameras showed him sitting there for almost 2 hours before the nightmare began. Without warning, Keith lost his balance and fell off the wall - he fell 9 stories down. He survived - which was a miracle in its self, but he never really woke up completely. His wife Judy immediately flew to Texas and began the most agonizing two years of her life.

This was not what they had planned. They had a charmed life. They were a beautiful couple so in love - so full of life and joy. One moment everything was great and the next moment their whole world was changed forever. I followed Judy Beasley's caring bridge journal entries those long months when she so faithfully attended to her husband. She had their baby boy but Keith wasn't in the delivery room with her. Keith didn't get to hold him. Judy didn't get to share the joy of this precious baby boy's birth with her husband. Keith was still comatose. Months went by - touch and go at times - but Judy was a rock. She stayed by Keith's side, trusting in God to get her through it.

One day she posted, that she was feeling particularly vulnerable and discouraged, when a well meaning man posted a comment to Keith's guest book. He said that he just wanted Judy to know that as difficult as it was for her and Keith, something good had happened because of their struggles. He said he knew a man who had decided to follow Christ because of Keith's story and her faithfulness. The words were meant for encouragement, but instead, Judy's first reaction was

"So that's why Keith had to suffer this fall? So that ONE person could come to know Jesus? Really. God? Keith's life had to be destroyed so one person could be saved? Was that worth all Keith's suffering, all he has lost?"

She was so angry at first, but then she stopped and thought about it. "Yes, Lord, if one person came to know Jesus because of this accident, it is worth it. One soul saved for Eternity is worth it." That's incredible faith.

Judy Beasley touched so many people with her strength - no, not her strength, but the strength that Jesus provided. She knew that she couldn't have possibly handled those many months of pain and heartbreak without Jesus holding her every step of the way. Keith eventually passed away. It was, of course, God's perfect timing. Those of you who followed Keith and Judy's journey with me know exactly what I mean. GOD showed Himself powerfully to Judy, so many times during those months. He never left her side. She always felt His presence. And she testified to His faithfulness.

All those months, we were praying for healing. We were praying that Keith would wake up and be fully restored. We begged and pleaded! We fasted! But God had a better plan. I'm sure Judy still wonders "why", but even though she doesn't understand why this happened, she still trusts that God's ways are so much higher than ours, and His love is so much deeper; Judy knows she can put her hope in Him without question.
Because of Judy's journey of faith, I, too, know I can put my hope in God.  I've seen Him work.

Our prayers may not change the outcome of every circumstance. But prayer can always change how we look at those circumstances. Even Jesus prayed more than once that "the cup of suffering might be taken from Him.

Mark 14:36 - Abba, Father,” he cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”

Talk about not being fair - there was no greater “injustice” than the persecution and death of Jesus, but what God accomplished through the suffering of His precious Son, the salvation of those who would accept Him as Savior, that purpose far outweighed the suffering that Jesus endured for us. Jesus trusted His Father completely, even it if meant He would have to suffer that horrible death on the cross. He knew it was for a greater purpose, a purpose filled with such love, we'll never fully understand.

James 5:16 - Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Prayer is how we talk to our Father. God told Isaiah in Isaiah 1:18 - Come now, and let us reason together”. Just like we parents want our children to talk to us, to share what's troubling them, our heavenly Father wants us to bring our burdens and hurts and pains to Him.

Philippians 4:6-7 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

When we pray for others, God creates an amazing bond of love and concern.  I'm sure that anyone who followed Judy's journey grew to love Judy and Keith and their sweet son. We truly cared for them, even though most of us never met either of them face to face. We're all part of God's family, and when Judy hurt, we all hurt with her. We offered encouragement, and she provided inspiration and hope. Through her testimony, our faith grew stronger.

Prayer was the instrument that God used to work all those things together.

Galatians 6:2
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. The law of Christ is to love one another as ourselves.

When we come along side someone bent low underneath their load of cares, we come to love them.
When I pray for someone, God puts them on my heart - just like he put Judy and Keith on my heart, and I begin to love that person. I truly care about them and want to help them in whatever way I can. Prayer creates a connection of love and compassion which is exactly what God wants us to have towards others.

God doesn't always answer my prayer with a "yes" and that's okay. Because when He tells me "no" or "wait", I know it's because He has something better planned. There's purpose in the suffering He allows and I will trust Him to accomplish that purpose. His perspective is our Eternal future, and more than anything, I want Eternity with Him for me and for all the people for whom I pray.

Holy Father, You are so gracious and merciful. Your wisdom is so far above my earthly understanding; I know I can trust You with every care and concern. Thank You, Lord, for always listening to my prayers. Thank You for always answering, even when I don't understand the answer. Thank You for the peace You provide when I trust You with my worries and concerns. LORD God, I trust Your amazing love for Your children, and as much as I want healing for my friends and families who are dealing with illness, disease, financial struggles, relationship issues, the most important concern is for their spiritual welfare, healing and growth. Father, Your Will, not mine, because what You have for each of us is so much better than anything I can ask or imagine.


I lift up to You every prayer need and every person for whom I pray, knowing You will give them Your best answer. I can't ask for anything better than that. I pray all these things in the Name of Jesus. Amen.

http://youtu.be/UpCZlkIlb4U - There will be a day - Jeremy Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment