Saturday, December 3, 2011

What is your cardboard testimony?  How has Christ changed you?
My cardboard testimony -
          Am I truly changed?

http://youtu.be/WEDjs2Tg4RY - The Change - Mercy Me

When we become true Christ followers, our lives can't help but change.  Our desire and our focus will be to live a life that honors our Savior.  That usually will mean sacrificing - giving up some of the things we do that are not God-honoring.  It will mean focusing on the needs of others more than on our own needs.  We will put others before ourselves.  If we are caught up in some sinful lifestyle, we will want to change so that we can be a better witness for Christ.  Sometimes the change we need to make might require great sacrifice - emotionally or financially. 

Remember Zacchaeus?  When Zacchaeus decided to become a Christ follower, he made some big changes.
Zacchaeus was a tax collector which wasn't an honorable job!  Taxes did have to be collected, but Zacchaeus and many other tax collects (Matthew) learned to earn lots of extra income by collecting more taxes than were due.  Tax collectors were despised for their underhanded, greedy tactics.  Basically, they were extortionists who used their position of power to illegally pad their own pockets.  Tax Collectors were usually wealthy because they stole lots of money for those who couldn't fight back. 

Jesus was traveling through Jericho on his way to Jerusalem.  He knew what was coming.  He would be arrested, flogged almost to the point of death, and then would die an excruciating death on the cross.  Even though He had explained time after time that His Kingdom was not an earthly kingdom, He realized that His followers were fully expecting Him to reign on earth.  He wanted His followers to know that hard times were coming for Him, but also for them.  The true disciples would suffer persecution and suffering, too.  But no matter how much they suffered, no matter how much they sacrificed, life with Him in Eternity would far outweigh the suffering. 

On his way to Jerusalem, He touched lives along the way.  The news of His arrival in Jericho reached a man named Zacchaeus.

Luke 19:1-11
Jesus entered Jericho and made his way through the town.  There was a man there named Zacchaeus. He was the chief tax collector in the region, and he had become very rich.  He tried to get a look at Jesus, but he was too short to see over the crowd.  So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree beside the road, for Jesus was going to pass that way.



 When Jesus came by, he looked up at Zacchaeus and called him by name. “Zacchaeus!” he said. “Quick, come down! I must be a guest in your home today.”


Zacchaeus quickly climbed down and took Jesus to his house in great excitement and joy.  But the people were displeased. “He has gone to be the guest of a notorious sinner,” they grumbled.

Meanwhile, Zacchaeus stood before the Lord and said, “I will give half my wealth to the poor, Lord, and if I have cheated people on their taxes, I will give them back four times as much!”


Jesus responded, “Salvation has come to this home today, for this man has shown himself to be a true son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost.”

Jesus changed Zacchaeus!  This man who had everything materialistically, was willing to make huge sacrifices.  He committed to giving back four times what he had stolen by cheating people on their taxes.  He committed to giving half of all he owned to the poor.  Zacchaeus was changed!

I love the last verse:  "Salvation has come to this home today, for this man has shown himself to be a true son of Abraham.  Jesus wasn't saying that Zacchaeus was saved because he was a descendant of Abraham - a Jew by birth.  Jesus proclaimed that Zacchaeus was a true son of Abraham because of his faith.  Zacchaeus showed his great faith through a life that was changed.  Zacchaeus was not just a "fan" of Jesus.  He had become a follower, one who was willing to change his lifestyle, even though it meant financial sacrifice.  The blessing of knowing Jesus was far greater to Zacchaeus than any amount of money.

John 14:15-26
15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.



18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?" 23 Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.


25 "These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

I'm afraid we sometimes fail to recognize the importance of obedience to God.  We love Grace.  We sing about how amazing God's Grace is, and rightfully so.  His Grace is truly amazing.  If our living a perfect, sinless life was the only way to heaven, we'd all be in trouble.  We can't do this life on our own.  We fall down and God lifts us up.  Then we fall down again, and He's right there reaching out to us in love.  I know that His Grace covers believers completely.  The question is "Am I a true believer or am I just a fan?"   A true believer who has come to know the LORD will be changed.  A true believer falls in love with His Savior and wants to obey His teachings because of the great sacrifice that Christ made on our behalf.  Although we can never repay Him, we are called to be living sacrifices fully acceptable to Him.  That requires a changed life. As a true believer, a follower of Christ, our desire should be to walk with Him in obedience. Not out of fear, but out of commitment and love for what He's done for us.  If we love Him, John inspired words say we will obey Him.  That means no longer being conformed to this world, but by being transformed by the renewal of our minds.

Romans 12:1-2 
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Look at the end of verse 2: "that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  How are we to know what changes we need to make?  By reading God's Word and by allowing the Holy Spirit to remind us of God's truths. Re-read John 14:26 above.  The Holy Spirit will teach us and bring to remembrance the things we've learned from God's Word.  But first, we have to read it.

I remember the story of the woman caught in adultery.  What was Jesus' response to this sinful woman?

John 8:3-11
The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?" This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more." 

Go and sin no more!  This woman was living a sinful life. She was caught in the very act of adultery.  But meeting Jesus face to face, experiencing His great mercy, couldn't help but change her way of living.  She wouldn't be perfect, but her heart would forever belong to Jesus.  Her response to His love and forgiveness?  She would go and sin no more.  She would be obedient out of love and respect and gratitude towards her Lord.

What are some things that have changed since I've become a follower of Christ?

I'm reading a book - not a fan by Kyle Idleman.  Mr. Idleman asks the question, "Are you a fan or a follower?"  Obviously, Jesus has lots of fans.  You know those people who praise Him in one breath and then turn around and use His holy Name to curse someone or something in the next breath.  Fans are people who like to "talk about Jesus" but are not willing to make the sacrifices Jesus asks His followers to make.  A fan doesn't let his relationship with Jesus affect his every day life.  In fact, a fan will usually adjust his beliefs so that he can go right ahead and live exactly the same way he's always lived.  A fan will convince himself that Jesus is so merciful and forgiving, it doesn't matter how he lives - just as long as he "loves" Jesus.

A follower is different.  He makes adjustments so that his life will reflect the Light of Jesus.  That takes sacrifice and commitment to helping others.  Like Zacchaeus, a true follower will stop sinning and follow Jesus.

A follower will walk out of a movie when the content is disrespectful to his Lord.

A follower will help the less fortunate in any way he can, even if it means inconveniencing himself.  A follower would miss the Sunday football game if someone needed immediate help.

A follower changes his language.  There some words he simply will not say anymore.  He definitely will not use the Lord's Name in vain.  What does this mean?  It means he doesn't use the Name of Jesus or God as an exclamatory remark - UNLESS he is really calling on God for help or giving Him praise.  The Name of Jesus is spoken with respect and love, not carelessly uttered.

A follower puts Jesus first and others second. His own wants and needs become secondary to those two priorities.  A fan tends to be more self-centered, self- absorbed.

We're all on a journey.  Some are a little further down the road than others.  Some stumble and make bad choices less often than others.  But some of us can't seem to stay off the floor.  We mess up every day.  But our hearts long to walk with Jesus and to honor Him. We fail repeatedly, but like David, we keep humbly looking to God to purify our hearts and draw us near to Himself. Today our walk is better than it was last year.  Next year, we'll be a little further down the road.  It's a process.  Sometimes it's babysteps, but we continue down the road with our eyes on Jesus.  As followers of Christ, we are being changed daily, however small those changes may seem.  We are being changed into His image.  The more we allow His Spirit to work in our hearts and lives, the more changes we'll see.
What changes do I need to make in my life?  What have I allowed to continue in my life that doesn't honor my precious Savior?  I definitely need to make some changes.  I dont' want to be just a fan.  I want to be a follower of Christ.  I want to be someone whom God can use to influence others for Christ.

Lord God, thank You for Your amazing grace.  Without it we'd all be lost.  But in Your infinite goodness and love, You made a way for sinful man to be reconciled to You - through Your precious Son, Jesus the Christ. 
I owe Him everything, but all I have to bring to Him is the way I live my life.  Such a small sacrifice to pay for all Jesus has done and continues to do for me.

I don't want to be just a "fan", who merely goes through the motions of being a "Christian", managing to say the right words at the right time, but unwilling to do the right thing when it's something I don't want to do.  I want to be a true follower of Christ, one who is willing to make changes in my life so that I conform to His teachings.  Help me be obedient even when it's hard, even when it means sacrificing things I love or enjoy.  Nothing is more important to me that honoring Jesus with my life.  Father, I want to live in such a way that others see Jesus living in me.  I want to love like You love; I want to see what You see and do what You have for me to do.  I want to make a difference in this world for the Kingdom.  Forgive me for taking my eyes off You so many times.  Renew my spirit and create in me a pure heart - a follower's heart. Be glorified in my life, God.  This life is for Your glory, not mine.  In the Name of Savior, Jesus the Christ, I ask these things. Amen.

http://youtu.be/UFrdJ2V3r7Y - Thank You, Lord - Ray Boltz

No comments:

Post a Comment