Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Family of God

My son, Michael, caught this sweet "sister" moment and when I saw it, it made  me smile.  Brooklyn and 
Presley are so young, and they already understand the bond of sisterhood. God meant for us to share this bond of love with our earthly family.  But He tells us in His Word that we have another Family - the Family of God.  As a believer, I have many brothers and sisters - in Christ. 

http://youtu.be/E3ANMNNn86o  - He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother - The Hollies


As I read the prayer in John 17, I see the yearning of Jesus for his disciples to be one, to be united, just as He and His Father were one. How sad we must make Him when we bicker and argue over meaningless things! He wanted so much for us to love each other just as He loved us. He wanted us to be a true family - the Family of God.

When we see our brother struggling with a heavy burden, our first thought should be "how can I lighten his load? How can I make things easier? How can I reach out in love?" 

Matthew 25
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’


“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’


“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

This is what unity in Christ is all about. Sharing one another's troubles, lending a helping hand, showing the love of Christ to those who need to know HE has not forgotten them. We become the hands and feet of Jesus when we reach out to others. We are the Family of God and families help each other.

John 17
“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.


I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!


O righteous Father, the world doesn’t know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them.”

God's plan from the beginning has been that His children would be one - united in Christ with a common love and purpose. Fellowship is a very important part of being in the family of God. His instructions for life are all about relationships, fellowship, and about coming together with encouragement and support, helping each other to carry the heavy burdens of life.

I did a quick word search on Biblegateway.com and these are a few passages about our relationship with others:

John 13:34
 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.


John 13:35
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.


Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.


2 Corinthians 13:11
Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.


Galatians 5:13
You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another humbly in love.


Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Thessalonians 4:9
Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other.


2 Thessalonians 1:3
We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing.


Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,


1 Peter 1:22
Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.


1 Peter 3:8
Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.


1 John 3:11
For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.

1 John 3:16
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for one another.


1 John 3:23
And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.


1 John 4:7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.


1 John 4:11
Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.


1 John 4:12
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.


1 John 4:21
And he has given us this command: Those who love God must also love one another.


2 John 1:5
And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another.

I think it's safe to say that God wants us to love each other, and to care for each other. He knows the beauty and blessings of relationships built on unity and love. The Godhead - Father/Son/Holy Spirit are a perfect example of perfect love and unity of purpose and plan. They are united together in perfect harmony and They support one another with unselfish love and devotion. Wouldn't this world be amazing if we believers could be united in our love and purpose? What if everyone really started looking for ways to help others?

Philippians 2
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.


3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.


In your relationships with one another, have the same attitude of mind Christ Jesus had:


Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a human being, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
Again in this passage, we see the focus on loving each other, looking out for one another, being united, and not divided. Verse 3 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition, value others above yourselves?" That's a hard thing to do. But if we learn how to love each other and how to come along side our brothers and sisters who are struggling, then we become more like Jesus.

And when one brother hurts, we all hurt.

1 Corinthians 12
Yes, there are many parts, but only one body. The eye can never say to the hand, “I don’t need you.” The head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.”


In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary. And the parts we regard as less honorable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So we carefully protect those parts that should not be seen, while the more honorable parts do not require this special care. So God has put the body together such that extra honor and care are given to those parts that have less dignity. This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad.

I've had the blessing of seeing God's Family reach out to brothers and sisters who are carrying a heavy load. They've come along side and lifted the load with prayers and hands-on support. I've watched our Family be the Hands and Feet of Jesus. This is exactly what Jesus told us to do. 

It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of shopping and preparing for our big Christmas gatherings.  I always worry about getting that "just right" gift for each family member.  "Is it enough? Will they like it?" Some how, the gifts I give never seem to be enough to suit me.  To me, the gifts I give always seem lacking in some way.  Because of that feeling, I don't enjoy all the unwrapping of gifts very much.  I'm so afraid that my little grandchildren will be disappointed somehow. I don't want to disappoint them ever. So in the middle of what should be fun and excitement, I'm worried about disappointing someone with a "not so perfect" gift.   I know, it's dumb.  I'm sure I'm the only person in the world who ever feels this, right?  = P

Sometimes we focus so much on making everything perfect that we don't remember the true spirit of Christmas.  Our gift giving can never compare to God's gift to us all, the Gift of Christ.  Earthly speaking, Jesus didn't have anything to give.  There were no big boxes wrapped in paper of red and green with huge bows on top.  No, Jesus gave us a gift that could never be "wrapped" in a box.  He gave us the Gift of Salvation, the Gift of Himself, the Gift of Love.  That was indeed the perfect gift.

So this year as I try once again to find the "perfect" gifts for my family, more than anything I want them to know the greatest gift that I can give is Love.  Love is the one gift I can give to everyone.  I want my children and grandchildren to remember that Nana cared about others, and even if she didn't always give the "perfect" presents, I want them to know that I gave something more precious than the right doll or truck.  I want them to see me giving love and support to those in need. I want my grandchildren to know that they are loved unconditionally by me, but more importantly, by God. That's how I can best share the true spirit of Christmas with my family, with God's family.

Holy Father, sometimes Christmas is just overwhelming. I spend more than I have to spend, but it never feels like enough.  Father, this Christmas help me to focus on what's most important. Help me to remember the best present I ever got was my sweet Savior and Lord, Jesus.

This season, help me to be gentle and patient, and loving and kind,
and please help me to keep my priorities straight.
The gifts of the Spirit, the gifts of the heart are the ones I want to celebrate.

Help me to reach out in love to those I see struggling or suffering.  Show me how to help.
Show me how to be Your Hands and Feet.  Let me focus this season and always be sharing
Christ's wonderful Gift with others.

LORD, please take away the anxiety and stress, and help me to feel more at peace,
as  I prepare my home for Christmas. This year, please help me to do everything I can to
make Christmas a time of pure joy and delight, sharing the love of Christ every moment
of this season with everyone I meet.

http://youtu.be/WD7Gqkg6igQ - We are the Reason - Avalon




No comments:

Post a Comment