Friday, December 9, 2011

It's NOT about me

http://youtu.be/cjhxOv9YDag - Who am I?  Casting Crowns

As I was in the car yesterday going here and there, I heard a lesson on the radio that really made me think.  I can't remember who was teaching but he laid down a challenge.  Just for a week, take the words "I" and "me" out of your conversations.

Ouch!

Here's a test question:  When you have a random conversation with someone and then walk away, from your conversation, do they know more about you?  Or do you know more about them? 

That hits home a little too much.

The name of this blog is "It's not about me" but does that really reflect the blog?  Most days, the writings posted here are pretty much "me" stuff.  Maybe it's different if those "I" and "me" words are used as illustrations and examples of what not to do.  = (  But the challenge definitely is worth checking out.

The devotional will be short today, because of this challenge.  It won't be easy,
but today these words will not be in this blog. 

http://youtu.be/J63YE-QEWIg -  It's all about You - Sarah Kim


1 Corinthians 13 is the best description of living as if "It's not about me".   Read the passage below and
see if it describes how you live.  See if it doesn't describe Jesus completely. 

If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.



Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

Just for today, the focus will be on others.  Maybe it's not so much about not using "I" and "me" but rather
not thinking about "I" or "me", but thinking and caring about "him and her".  Today will be about others and their needs and feelings.  Less of self... more of Jesus.
 
Holy Father, today it's all about You and Your children.  Please take control.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen
 
http://youtu.be/Gnf1xczuOrA - Lifesong - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment